Advice : Rebuild or scrap T-Type

I've been in a similar position with not wanting to swap into a new body in fear of losing the originality of the car(or truck as it was in my case). I understand how you feel about that, and agree. INEEDAGN post 13 sounded like a logical decision. Ballpark how much money, time, and effort it'll take to get this car back to glory. Now take those figures and compare them to what it'd be like if you started with a solid foundation...or what you'd pay for a car that's already done. Money pits aren't too likely to pay for themselves.

the experience and memories gained from fixing it up are worth more than any money that is lost in the end...

YES to some.. BUT if your old those memories are lone gone and I call them "learning experiences". I learned by my mistakes an very rarely take a bath like this guy is goin to do if he fixes this car !! Hopefully he has some experience doin everything and anything to it. Then it falls into having a car apart for YEARS. Lots loose interest and bail out then (BIG BATH). Of course this is a double edge sword. If he has others help it along it will get done faster BUT the $$$$$ pit grows even deeper :eek: Oh I am not worrying having to wait 30 years for them to be worth anything($10/$15k) . Ill be dead!! $3k in the bank today in 30 years will make more than your car will be worth :p
One more thing to the OP. IF ya do jump off the bridge an do the car make sure ya have a stated amount of ins on it. I bought an 84 Gn (ok..everyone stop there damm laughing at me !!) for $1200 maybe 5/7 years ago.
Car was a intercooled conversion. Rust free car !!! He got a light hit in the rear an he tapped the car in front of him. Hood an header panel were fine. Decklid was fine to. He had almost $30k in receipts on the car !!!! Ins paid $2200. :rolleyes:

My woods of advise "If in doubt piece it out" :D

I guess i shouldn't say that no one should ever do a frame off resto, but I AM saying that if you are wanting most of that money back later or if you have limited time/skills, you should sell it and buy one that's nice. Restoration work is a labor of love. Personally I can't love an inanimate object to that degree. It won't ever love you back. Then again, most women won't either LOL.

Sent from my LGL75C using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I guess i shouldn't say that no one should ever do a frame off resto, but I AM saying that if you are wanting most of that money back later or if you have limited time/skills, you should sell it and buy one that's nice. Restoration work is a labor of love. Personally I can't love an inanimate object to that degree. It won't ever love you back. Then again, most women won't either LOL.

Sent from my LGL75C using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I did 3 restorations way back !! No sense giving the year because 99% of u were not even born yet :p First car was a 427 Cobra, 2nd car was a 66 GT350 convert and started a 3rd car 67 GT 350. By the time I got to the third car it was a rusty critter. The other 2 were rust free cars. Started to cut out the panels to replace when the bell finally went off in my head. Did some honest figuring and it was cheaper to piece the 67 GT 350 out an buy one all done. Yes there were all an experience. So I guess if ya have $$$$ to blow and lots of time AND AN "UNDERSTANDING WIFE" do it .
Now to do a Gbody car that they made gazillions of I just don't see them hauling in the "big coin" when they are done. Really I am done here. Boats calling out to me :p

Well, maybe I shouldn't speak up on this issue, because I don't have the experience that most of these guys have, but I can see both sides of the argument. If you're looking for something to drive ASAP, maybe you should sell it and get something ready to go. Or, if you're not in as much of a hurry, maybe it would be worth the experience of it fixing it up and putting another one back on the road...after all, is that what hot rodding is all about?

Ha ha, this is why it so confusing. Everyone is on both sides of the fence. I don't mind putting time and effort but the money side is the concern. If it will be outrageous to fix.

Unless there is serious frame damage/rust, I can't imagine finding a base Regal parts car to supply body panels would be outrageously expensive. I'm not sure about the interior pieces, though