After Engine R&R no electrical power ???

87LtdT

Just finished reinstalling engine...all excited to crank it over but no electrical power to anything. No dash lights, no dome lights, engine don't crank, etc. It's as if no battery in the car.

Had the battery checked and it is "Good".

I have a mini-starter (there seems to be many kinds)...that has 1 small terminal and 2 equal size larger terminals. The small wire(s) are attached to the small terminal. I connected wire from battery to the outboard of the 2 larger terminals. The other wires are attached to the inboard large terminal.

Is this wrong, or have I missed something else??

Thanks for any advice.

Bob

The other wires are attached to the inboard "larger" terminal or to the small terminal...guess that wasn't obvious. I've edited original post to make it clear.

Because the 2 larger terminals are the same size how do you tell which the battery connection goes to??

Bob

All of the "large" terminals should be connected to what you are calling the large "outboard" terminal. "Inboard terminal is the feed to the starter motor when cranking, no external wires are connected to it.

Thanks for input...but let me be sure I understand what you are saying.

There is the large washer like connector from the battery that I connected to the starter's outboard large terminal. There are 2-3 large washer like connectors that, as I sit here, I am unsure where they come from but they clearly go onto a large terminal.

Are you saying that all of the large connectors should go to the outboard terminal?? If yes, why does the starter have a large inboard terminal if nothing goes to it??

Thanks, Bob

If you look close, one of the large terminal posts has a flat copper conductor that leads into the motor. That would be you "outboard" terminal and the other large is you "inboard". :tongue: Connect all the wires with large terminals to "inboard".

Well something isn't right.

Took off wires to both of the larger terminals today and:

The outboard terminal has no other connections to it...the threaded terminal rod just disappears within the black starter body.

The inboard terminal has what appears to be a strap to it that probably connects to the starter in some way. Also a wire connection (rectangular shaped with a hole in it) that comes from the starter (or goes into the starter) will only fit onto the inboard terminal.

The positive wire from the battery has a "leg" that sticks out perpendicular to the washer surface...this leg prevents it from attaching to the inboard terminal.

The other 4 wires that come together into one large connector can be connected to either the inboard or outboard terminals. These wires come from the car's wire harness.

The small terminal only has the single purple wire with it's small connector attached to it.

I had it wired up with the small to the small, the battery wire to the outboard connecter, and the wire harness connector and the connector from the starter hooked to the inboard terminal.

My battery, while checking "good" at Sears was low on water...and is 4 years old. I added water and put it on my 6 amp charger...it took about 2.5 amps for about 15 minutes and then was at or near zero....this is the same charging pattern as before adding water.

The ground strap at the lower turbo bracket is in place and the alternator wire that runs along the front bottom of the engine is in place on the alternator.

I think the only alternative is to wire the starter with the battery positive to the outboard terminal (it will not fit onto inboard) and this time move the 4 wires to one connector bundle from the wire harness to the outboard terminal....it was on the inboard. Of course the wire that originates within the starter must remain on the inboard terminal...that's the only place it will fit.

Thoughts??

Bob

Yes, you are thinking correct. That's what I was attempting to put into words :)

Tonka, my poor manners have caused me to delay me thanking you for your input. You were correct and wiring it the way you advised fixed my problem.

Belated thanks,

Bob