You can type here any text you want

Aftermarket weatherstrip vs. GM

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pats-GN

Anyone tried both? I need the t-top and door seals. I think Kirban has the door seals a little cheaper than gmpartsdirect but there aftermarket. Do these fit as well as the GM? Would it be ok to use GM t-top seals and aftermarket lower door seals?

thanks

The Kirbans stuff is metro weatherstripping. I recently purchased both upper and lower for my SS from www.weatherstripspecial.com where it is even a little cheaper than Kirbans ($59 for both lower doors, uppers are same price). I did want to go with GM but it just doesn't fit my budget at the moment (they are extremely expensive from GM Canada, over $1500 for the set! [they are much cheaper in the Us though ~$550-600/set of upper & lower) and for the cost of the aftermarket stuff I figured I would take the chance. If I had T-tops though, I think I would try to get GM, but for the lower weatherstripping, you can probably settle for aftermarket - the lower ones aren't as critical as far as wind noise/leaking. I should be getting them any day now but I don't know when I will be installing them. I may do the doors right away since they look easy, but it might be a while until I get around to doing the uppers...

aftermarket weather stripping is CRAP! i used aftermarket on my 85 442 i had and i was incredibly disappointed both with the install/fitment and the sealing. when i do my gn, im using the gm stuff. it may cost more, but in this case its definitely worth it, imo.

Look at it like condoms, why would you buy generic? :)

I bought GM seals, and have seen the aftermarket ones. I would speculate if you could pick through a pile of them, you might find a set that will work good.

You know what they say about opinions though ;) .

I used some aftermarket seals once and wasn't impressed with there quality. I didn't get a very good seal with them, but I didn't fiddle with the window alignment either. In retrospect, I think lot of the good sealing windows on some cars is do to someone actually spending a lot of time and alligning the windows to the seals (dollar bill test). I think putting on the seals is just the begining of getting a good sealing window....I will be re-sealing mine sometime in the next few months and I already have the GM replacements waiting for me in the garage;)
I guess I will be saying a lot of four letter words on the day I install my seals if the alignment is as much a pita as i've heard.

Maybe someone can reply back with a positive answer on aftermarket seals.....but I think they are like THDP and stuff....spend the money once...spend the money on the quality product....

I bought complete upper and lower for my hardtop T last year from Kirbans as was very disappointed with the fit. I had to shim and reglue the lowers twice on each side and the uppers OMG! They were to stiff and unforgiving IMO. To stiff to be able to form around any part of the window. I've read on this board that someone said Pete Serio even recommends GM strips although he doesn't say that in his book that, who, Kirban sells. I have a GN now and will not settle for anything other than GM this go around. They certainly can't be any worse than an aftermarket set. You will spend WAY to much time into these to be disappointed. Drew:(

Definately go with the GM seals.
I tried aftermarket on my car, and they were crap. They didnt fit well, but they were also very stiff. I Had Petes book, and tried everything. I eventually gave up and got the GMs put in, and it was like night and day. This is with the upper seals. I would think that the lowers are not nearly as important, but I could be wrong, since I didnt do those yet.

Here are the numbers from GNTTYPE and the prices from GMpartsdirect.com

Part No. Price Handling
20363106 S/STR $13.80 $7.95
20363107 S/STR $13.80 $5.25
20674282 S/STRP $28.02 $5.60
20674283 S/STRP $28.02 $5.60

Originally posted by GN-231
I didn't get a very good seal with them, but I didn't fiddle with the window alignment either. In retrospect, I think lot of the good sealing windows on some cars is do to someone actually spending a lot of time and alligning the windows to the seals (dollar bill test). I think putting on the seals is just the begining of getting a good sealing window
trust me, when i put those seals on the car we spent the whole day playing with the window adjustments. still never sealed great. got about 90% to seal, BUT, one problem. the rubber was so stiff/unforgiving that if i put the windows down and tried to put them back up with the doors closed, they wouldnt go up all the way! :rolleyes: (power windows) I'd have to wait until the door was opened to get the window up that last 1/4" to properly seal. even tried some armor all on the rubber to lube things up, no help. i wouldnt take aftermarket seals if i was paid to use them.

I got some aftermarket weatherstripping off of E-Bay complete set. Had the body shop guy put on the lowers, and I put on the upper door ones. They fit really good, but I will agree they are stiff ( door shut hard for a while) but now it's all good. Windows are really close to a perfect fit. Those GM ones are way too much for me

Aftermarket crap

If you can't afford the GM seals then don't buy any at all. The aftermarket stuff is worthless. I have some sof seal crap I ordered for a 79 camaro that was so crappy, I didn't use it and am too embarrased to even try to sell it to anyone. Its that bad. The doors would not even close with the new seals. My friends and I couldn't believe it. If you buy the aftermarket crap you'll be buying twice. To the guy thats already ordered it... try to cancel your order and get your money back. Ask yourself this question... Why are your replacing your current seals. Its probably because they aren't sealing well. If you buy the aftermarket stuff they will still not seal well so if your not buying GM then why bother. Learn from our mistakes, stick with the factory when it comes to seals.

I bought a trunk seal from Kirban/Soff Seal. It was way short. Grown men couldn't stretch it to make it fit. If you can't get something a simple as a trunk seal to fit, what are the chances the door seals will fit?

The trunk seal has laid in my basement for years now, as a reminder that aftermarket seals are POS. When I quit this hobby, I'll mail it back to Kirban (along with some other stuff) with a "thank you" note.

:)

Originally posted by bob86gn
Here are the numbers from GNTTYPE and the prices from GMpartsdirect.com

Part No. Price Handling
20363106 S/STR $13.80 $7.95
20363107 S/STR $13.80 $5.25
20674282 S/STRP $28.02 $5.60
20674283 S/STRP $28.02 $5.60

There isn't much difference in price there between GM and aftermarket...certainly not enough to make it worth risking having to buy it all again.
But, can just anyone buy stuff from GMpartstdirect.com?
If so, I think I'll be havin me some new weatherstrippin!
Jon

Are those prices correct?:eek: I thought they were over $100 for each side. I might have them sooner than expected!:D

those are the wrong part #'s. im not sure what the first two #'s are but the second two are the black strip that runs along the bottom of the window. the outer felt piece i guess you could call it?

here's the correct #'s:

Weatherstrips:
(Window LH) 20737659: @ GM parts direct 101.46+shipping, no tax
(Window RH) 20737658

(Door LH) 20201221: @GM parts direct 52.44+shipping, no tax
(Door RH) 20201220:

Thanks for all the replies, I'm not taking any chances, i'll pay a little extra for the GM. Through gmpartsdirect the t-tops and door weatherstrip will be $250 or so plus shipping.

Brian,

You are right. The top numbers are the actual door weather strips at the intersection of the door and the glass, not the glass and the roof.

What parts are these door seals?
(Door LH) 20201221: @GM parts direct 52.44+shipping, no tax
(Door RH) 20201220:

Bob

I just finished doing my T-top car. make sure you get them ALL. Every seal for the doors & T-tops and the seal for the trunk came to around 470. I'll see if I still have the parts list I used and post it.

Back