You can type here any text you want

Aftermarket weatherstrip vs. GM

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Re: Aftermarket crap

Originally posted by TurboT2496
...To the guy thats already ordered it... try to cancel your order and get your money back.

Well they were waiting for me when I got home. I opened only the door seal package so I could run a test fit. It looked like they would be alright when putting it on, except at the ends (anchor points) they were a little long and bucked a bit. The clincher came when I went to close the door - IT WOULDN'T CLOSE! :eek: I must agree with all of the above - aftermarket (at least metro) weatherstripping is CRAP! I know weatherstripping needs time to form/compress, but there is no way these would ever fit right. I must also agree that the rubber is very hard ("supersoft" my a$$ ) and just feeling the roof rail strips throught the shrinkwrap there is no way they would ever seal properly. The site I bought them from does have a return policy and I sent them a letter late last night explaining that I am returning the items for a full refund. Well I knew this might (probably would) happen so I am not too pissed off. The main thing is I hoped at least the lowers would be ok to use for aftermarket. I guess I wanted to be one of the lucky ones who was actually happy with them. The only conclusions I can draw about these people are that the products that are sold are very incosistant or the people who bought them settled for a whole lot of wind noise/aggrivation just to have the "new rubber" look.

As for GM weatherstripping, I am counting my pennys at the present moment ;) (At least the exchange rate is a little better these days) These are the part numbers and prices I got from a GM parts dealer who had the parts on hand (the door seals are different from what is mentioned above):

Rt Dr Lower #20277448 GM cost $123.72
Lf Dr Lower #20277449 GM cost $123.72
Rt Dr Uper #20737658 GM cost $101.46
Lf Dr Uper #20737659 GM cost $101.46

Prices match what shows up on gmpartsdirect.com

The killer thing that gets me is that I had a connection to get these four pieces for under $300 US (they were seals he bought years ago and was selling them to me at cost of 7 yrs ago) a while back but didn't have the money at the time - when I had enough to purchase them (about 2 months later), the parts director I was in contact with no longer worked for GM and moved on to an import dealership :( His email address was useless also since it was though the delaership.

***Can anyone confirm that the seals are the same for a Monte and a Regal? (as well as other the 81-88 G-bodies)

I have also heard bad things about gmpartsdirect, can anyone here offer their experiences with them please.

Originally posted by Turbo Brian
but the second two are the black strip that runs along the bottom of the window. the outer felt piece i guess you could call it?

I would definitely recommend doing the black felt strips if you are going to seal the upper windows. You will have all the door panels off anyway and I believe that new felt seals actually help a lot to getting a nice sealing window.
FYI...If you have any windows that are rattling inside the doors, the kirban window repair kits work great.

here's a run down of the parts I used, first price is list, second is wholesale 3rd is website price.

Door Weatherstrip
W/STR
$88.88
$66.66
$52.44

Door Weatherstrip
W/STR
$88.88
$66.66
$52.44

Door Weatherstrip
S/STRP
$13.32
$9.99
$7.86

Lift off roof window-WE DO NOT SHIP GLASS
S/STR
$22.17
$16.63
$13.08

W/STR AY
$123.76
$92.82
$73.02

W/STR AY
$123.76
$92.82
$73.02

W/STR ASM
$47.19
$35.39
$27.84

W/STR ASM
$47.19
$35.39
$27.84

I also put on a new trunk seal at the time (not listed) Not listed is the Belt mouldings (what you guys are referring to as the felt mldgs) Those run around $27.00 each I think.

Just got confirmation that the regal and monte do indeed have different part numbers for the lower door weatherstripping. I am going to check my 85 SS against my parent's 87 Cutlass (same doors as regal, therefore they should have same weatherstrips right?) to see if they are actually any different. The Monte lower door weatherstrips are more than double the price of the regal ones so I would like to get "regal" weatherstrips if they will fit...

If I can get all 4 pieces for ~$300 US (~$450 CDN :( ) then I will probably go that route for sure...

the strange things GM does sometimes... :rolleyes:

I just checked them, and comparing the two sets (on the cars of course), they appear to be identical from what I can tell (unless I am missing something)... :confused:

I just finished doing my T-top car. make sure you get them ALL. Every seal for the doors & T-tops and the seal for the trunk came to around 470. I'll see if I still have the parts list I used and post it.

I know this is an OLD thread, but if you can provide those part #'s that would be awesome, please.

Back