You can type here any text you want

air filter collapsing at wot??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboTR

sprayhead
Anyone here know of or have ever seen a K&N filter suck shut at wot? Does it happen? At what level is it time to toss the filter anway? I measured a 2 psi drop at the inlet to the compressor at wot and am wondering what the cause is. Last time I checked with the old motor I saw less than about 1/2 psi. TIA!

TurboTR

Todd
Glad you asked that question! I have been wondering the same thing.
My 4"X 12" K&N shows signs of being "sucked in" The pleats are not straight,looks like someone was squeezing it??
The car has run 146mph,last season,here,at our Ford/Buick Shootout
I called someother filter mfg.??Has the hole in the middle?
They admitted theirs would not flow more the the K&N.
A friend,who is into motorcycles,says they wash out ,all the oil on the filter for more flow.

Austin

i had a KN on my Taurus SHO and it deeloped this "squeezed" look as well as did the one on the GN. i have seen a bunch of others that look like this also. maybe its normal since the airflow is all going in and not coming out.

I have the same damn irregularities with my K&N. I put it in in perfect condition (brand new) and now it has the "bent" or curved ridges in it. It never occurred to me that it may be collapsing under boost. Has anyone found a way to see if their filter is collapsing? My old filter had the same curved ridges. Damn, that would explain a lot with my tuning problems.

Derrick

Well next time I chassis dyno that'll be a line item :) Unless it's already tossed by then. I plan to re-test asap with the filter removed but all the same inlet ducting in place.

One thing we did see last time on the dyno was the hump hose I was using in the up pipe was ballooning up like a friggin' basketball under boost :) Sent an onlooker scrambling for cover, lol :)

TurboTR

Back