You can type here any text you want

Alarm - what to buy

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nick368

Knowing how old these cars are and what was available for alarms at the time, I'm inlcined to think I'm a target out there. Can anyone suggest a pretty good system that I can purchase for this car?

Nick. viper or clifford. you cant go wrong. BUT installation is the msot important part. solder everythibng, great grds, put the wires in fac looms and do not put the freaking brain under the dash!! you must hide it as mush as possible. Also get a backup battery (they are very small). jsut incase they disconnect your car batt you still have juiice!!

lo jack it. I had a 87 regal limited 75k two tone mint cond. on 22's with steering colomn lock with a matrix clifford 5.0 and the black jack system installed. Remote didnt get any signal i was 20 feet from the car alarm didnt even go off i had proxy sensors pin sensors alarm was turned on at the time. They broke through my Steering colomn lock and they found the brain that was under the back seat. car was gone in under 20 minutes. I'm out 10 grand no insurance. Depends on where u live I am a miami resident so lo jak they will steal it in a heart beat. I am buyin a plane ticket to go up north to check out some T Types. They told me when i put the clifford, if they want it its gone. Alarms only make you "feel" safe. GOOD LUCK

i wonder if they alreasdy new where the brain was located due to a corrupt shop?

they probably heard the relays clicking in the alarm box....:eek:

best to mount the alarm control box and i will zip tie the plugs to the box at the customers request/or if i know they live in a high crime area.

soldering is the best but not nessasary....properly crimped terminal (the correct size for the gage wire used ) is just as good, period.
i sell DEI and omega alarrms... both are good.but only as good as the installation.....

how do you feel about the lo jack systems gary? im on the hunt for a TTT and they are a rare find in miami and if your thinking of buying it forget it cause no one sells them. I am going cross country as soon as i find one i like and bringing it back and slapping in something to keep it from disappearing like my last car.

If you use T taps and I hear about it I will personally come and steal your car!

I'd recommend getting the folliwing with any alarm you get:

Piezo tweeter: Kills the theif's ears. He won't want to steal your car with this going off.

Proximity alarm: It will beep and warn anyone that you have an alarm. A better alternative to a glass break sensor. A glass break is pretty useless because if they smash your window, they will open your door and set off the door pin anyway.

Tilt sensor: So they can't steal your wheels or flat bed your car.

I had proxy they just laughed at it. clifford with the remote that tells you when they are messing with your car they knew how to block out the signal to your keys cause mine did not go off.

haven't used/installed a lojack (police here doesn't have any receivers). i like the gps systems because you can track real time and shut car down if you want to..

i do fleet gps installs. basic gps,with ign kill and door unlock optional $250. you dont have to pay a monthly fee. only a fee if you want to see where the car is or do a command.

i do fleet gps installs. basic gps,with ign kill and door unlock optional $250. you dont have to pay a monthly fee. only a fee if you want to see where the car is or do a command.

you have an e-mail Dude
i want to put a GPS system on my car.
thanks for any help.
David

i'm a happy lo-jack customer , i like onthehunt had a gn stolen NEVER AGAIN!! IT MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE BEEN RAPED!!! SEEING NOTHING BUT RED!! :mad: YOU WANT BLOOD:mad: YOUR BODY BEGS YOU FOR IT!!! at least that's the way i felt a real good alarm maybe like $400 or even $500 bucks . I say save your money and get at least lo-jack which the basic package is $700 if correct ( one time fee.) I got the early warning system
which cost me $1k but if my car is moved without the key pass they notify me between 15 to 30 seconds, we all spend crazy amounts of money on upgrades without even thinking about it, but when it comes to protecting our prize possesions we normally don't always make the right choice.

i don't work for lo-jack ( i'm a union elevator mech.) i just don't want any of my fellow buick brothers to go thru what i went thru. I too have 2 alarms on my gn, a column lock and other stuff. Remember if you did'nt hear your alarm going off and you wake up to find your car gone the only chance you have left is LO-JACK. alarms are good to have but i've seen tow-truck drivers who don't even have to get out of their trucks in order to haul away a car. i believe thats how mine was stolen back in 94. good luck in what ever you decide. they even send you an e-mail when it's time to change the battery on your key pass :)

heck turbopowered68 i'd be intrested in that gps just for the fact that it offers a kill switch, that can be remotely activated right :confused:
as far as i know LO-JACK is the only vehicle recovery system used by the police in many states. Hay gary does the gps also give police the info on the wareabouts of the car? thanks

I am with 100% No-nos

You make some real good points but the problem I have with lo-jack is
that I have 2 cousins that work in for the NYPD and one off them works in the station that patrols the neighborhood where I work on my car and they say 95% of the cops don't know how to track the lo-jack system.:eek: making it useless and he is cop for 13-15 years.

But I am going to the police station where I live and I will ask the cops if they have the lo-jack tracking system. I might go with the lojack, gps and the alarm.
Like you said 1k or 2k to keep your car is pennies on the dollar compared to all the money in mods we do to these cars. Take $2k divide it by $15k=$.13 not bad at all.
And the best part about lo-jack and gps is if you sell the car you pull it out and put in your new car.:biggrin:
David

i'm a happy lo-jack customer , i like onthehunt had a gn stolen NEVER AGAIN!! IT MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE BEEN RAPED!!! SEEING NOTHING BUT RED!! :mad: YOU WANT BLOOD:mad: YOUR BODY BEGS YOU FOR IT!!! at least that's the way i felt a real good alarm maybe like $400 or even $500 bucks . I say save your money and get at least lo-jack which the basic package is $700 if correct ( one time fee.) I got the early warning system
which cost me $1k but if my car is moved without the key pass they notify me between 15 to 30 seconds, we all spend crazy amounts of money on upgrades without even thinking about it, but when it comes to protecting our prize possesions we normally don't always make the right choice.

i don't work for lo-jack ( i'm a union elevator mech.) i just don't want any of my fellow buick brothers to go thru what i went thru. I too have 2 alarms on my gn, a column lock and other stuff. Remember if you did'nt hear your alarm going off and you wake up to find your car gone the only chance you have left is LO-JACK. alarms are good to have but i've seen tow-truck drivers who don't even have to get out of their trucks in order to haul away a car. i believe thats how mine was stolen back in 94. good luck in what ever you decide. they even send you an e-mail when it's time to change the battery on your key pass :)

heck turbopowered68 i'd be intrested in that gps just for the fact that it offers a kill switch, that can be remotely activated right :confused:
as far as i know LO-JACK is the only vehicle recovery system used by the police in many states. Hay gary does the gps also give police the info on the wareabouts of the car? thanks

lojack is very good, but if car is moved where the police doesnt have a lojack reciever,youre done.
anyone with access to the internet/computer (and your password) can access your cars' location in real time. you can also set the unit to notify you by email if car moves(when i get around to installing mine,it will send to my cell phone through my email).
i have a full-blown alarm system on my car too but,keep in mind NO security system will make your car steal-proof. the real purpouse of a alarm is to deter a thief so he will move on to the next car that doesnt have a alarm that will be alot easier to steal.
your alarm and your gps/or lojack will help you sleep better at night.also use common sense when leaving/parking your car....dont leave in a bad area, make sure the parking spot is lit well,arm the alarm(make sure led is blinking),dont leave valuables in the car in plain view,etc,etc.

Back