You can type here any text you want

All 4 main caps?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

darb

Planning a rebuild soon and was wondering if their are any disadvantages of using all 4 mains instead of just the 2 center. ie leaks, etc.? Don't want to use a girdle. Going with at least the 2 centers and figured WTH, why not use all four caps. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't worry about the rearmost cap, it's pretty huge and thus strong. I just did the middle two, but I can definitely see going for the front 3.

I did all 4 caps and a girdle,sure it's probrobly overkill but it doesnt hurt right :D Havent had a problem yet(knocks on wood)

Steve

Why are you going for the caps instead of a girdle? Just curious. I went the girdle route due to less machining and less expensive.

Derrick

I have seen more people with problems with the girdle than people with problems with caps. Seems as if they both work to do what they are suppose to very well. Seems that the caps will be easier (in terms of any possible maintenance work in the area) in the long run even if they do cost a little more initially. Just my opinion...

My engine has all four steel caps. I did run into a problem though as the oil pan doesn't fit properly at the rear cap...the stud and nut interferes with the curvature in the pan. I had to slightly grind an area of the nut and grind a portion of the oil pan out in order for the pan to seat. As I understand it, if you use the steel rear cap, you should also use the girdle to space the oil pan out and prevent the interference with the stud/nut being so close. I wasn't crazy about grinding the nut, but it was the only way I could get it to fit where the gasket actually compresses onto the pan.
-John Spina
Spyder Project

Originally posted by GNVenom
My engine has all four steel caps. I did run into a problem though as the oil pan doesn't fit properly at the rear cap...the stud and nut interferes with the curvature in the pan. I had to slightly grind an area of the nut and grind a portion of the oil pan out in order for the pan to seat. As I understand it, if you use the steel rear cap, you should also use the girdle to space the oil pan out and prevent the interference with the stud/nut being so close. I wasn't crazy about grinding the nut, but it was the only way I could get it to fit where the gasket actually compresses onto the pan.
-John Spina
Spyder Project
John,I have a Knock gauge I would like to have tested,,What is the address ,I am on Vac. this week ....
Dennis

Back