Alright guys which turbo?

LTNG KLLR

Im looking at getting either a TA-49 or a PTE-51 both are preety similar turbos right?Do they come complete with turbine,center section and exhaust housing, I already have TA but its gone, could I use the same actuator and ehaust housing if it doesnt come with one, who should I order from, sorry for all questions thanks guys

Define similar...

The TA49 works well with the stock convertor, will take you deep into the 11s and will bolt right in if you currently have a TA series turbo on your car.

The PT51 will require a higher stall convertor to make it shine. You could run it with a stock convertor but a TA49 would be more streetable. Not a huge difference though from what I hear. The TE series compressor housing will require some modification to your induction system since it doesn't have an inlet bell. Then there is the problem with Precision's PT51s spitting out their turbine wheels... The general concensus is to stay away from 51s, though many run them successfully. Given the recommendation to run it with a higher stall convertor, questionable reliability at the moment, and the modest performance increase over a TA49, I'd stay with the TA49 or move up in the 50 series.

You can order a turbo any way you want...with or without either housing. But ask yourself if you want your turbo shipped without the turbine wheel encased by the exhaust housing. Shouldn't be a problem. We all know how careful the shipping companies are. :rolleyes:

LTNG KLLR,

My suggestion would depend on your goals. You don't say anything about your current mods, but assuming a relatively stock to mildly modified car I'd go with the TA49 or maybe a TE44. Both turbos will work with the stock converter and will have good manners on the street. But then again it all depends on your goals and where you want to be in the future. The TA49 and TE44 are both solid mid 11 second turbos. Just make sure your fuel system is up to the task and you have a decent aftermarket chip.

Originally posted by LTNG KLLR
could I use the same actuator and ehaust housing if it doesnt come with one, who should I order from, sorry for all questions thanks guys

The TE series turbos require a modified wastegate actuator as the mounting points on the compressor housing are slightly different.

Also, most people that run a TE44, TA49 or PTE51 have opened the wastegate hole in the turbine housing to reduce boost creep. If you buy a used one, there's a good chance your stock elbow and puck will not work (puck will be too small to cover the hole).

Solutions are buying a used elbow that has had a large puck installed or upgrading to a large puck downpipe like a Terry Houston. A larger turbo can be used with the stock elbow/puck if the turbo is ordered with an exhaust housing with a stock sized hole, but boost creep issues may arise (boost creeps above it's set level)