Altenator up grade options

Are you using the stock wiring from the starter to the Battery and the battery to the Alternator ? If so, these also need to be upgraded to handle the current.

In my Regal I am using 1/0 wire all the way thru the car. I am using 1 awg from the starter to the battery, from the Alternator to the battery, and from the battery to the trunk. For grounds I have 1 awg going from the batter to the frame, frame to the alternator, frame to the block and battery to the fender.

I have basically grounded ever point of the vehicle so that I can have the maximum current flow.

Your smallest wire is always going to be your weakest link.

My Toyota that I compete with for 10 years had the stock Alternator which powered 2 batteries parralelled at all time. I never once had a problem in the truck, but again, I was running 1/0 awg at every point.

Try that before you spend the money on the Alternator, also have a load test done on your battery, if it is weak, it can create a heavy load on your alternator therefore robbing power that should go to the amps and sending it to a shot battery.

yeah i know, my stock starter/alt wiring is hindering it a bit. I've just never got around to fixing it (plus my old system didn't need it).

Dang school, I can never work on my car up here, and I'm ALWAYS here. :(