Alternator & Distributor

LemansWagon

Anybody ever run 86-87 turbo headers on an engine with a distributor? I am trying to figure how to mount the alternator since the turbo goes in the original alternator location and the distributor is where the 86-87 alternator mount is.

I've done this on my blowthru car. Stock HEI cap, LC2 style aftermarket headers, I made my own ALT bracket with integrated tension-er then cut off the AIR pump mount on top of the power steering pump mount then welded my ALT bracket somewhat where the AIR pump was.
Check out the thread Repeat Procedure. it's in there.

I had '85 alt bracket and headers, but the bracket broke and my alt almost came off:eek: So I slapped the old iron one back on... Nice Adam, I was thinking about cutting the air pump part off too... I`v smacked my head on that damn thing a too many times:mad:

I was thinking along those same lines Adam. I like it! Looks like a good solution to me. Only difference is I was thinking of adapting the stock N/A alternator arm from my 79 instead of the angle iron like you used and using the 79 v-belts. I can also use the 84 alternator, PS pump & bracket. I have a choice since the car is a 79 and the engine is from an 84 (N/A) complete with all acessories.

I had a chance to look under the hood of my wagon and I am definitely going to use the 84 brackets and mount the alternator where Adam did. On the 79, because it has no a/c and no air pump, the PS pump is up too high and leaves no room for the alternator on the driver side.

One question Adam: I can't tell from the photos how the top of the alternator is attached. I see a home fabbed bracket up there but I can't see what it attaches to.

No brackets on the top of my ALT, there IS a shield to keep the upper radiator hose off the ALT fan that's it. The bottom mount hole of the ALT if the only thing holding it too the bracket I made, In the same location there is leverage tensioner I fabbed up from parts of a Honda Alt mount. It's a very simple and basic Alt mount/tensioner but it's 90% made from scratch and the last 10% of parts is the modified Honda tensioner.
You can build one to suit your needs and change anything to make it work for you on your project.

Attached is a couple pics of the current 79 set up. You can see that the ps pump is way too high. But check out the nice upper adjustment bracket for the alternator that I can easily weld, or even possibly bolt, to the 84 PS pump bracket to give me adjustment. Then just weld a tube on the bottom like yours. My question though is how did you get it to line up with the larger diameter (middle groove) on the crank pulley. Initially it appears that the belt may hit the ps bracket.

Oh, I also attached a pic of the car it's going in. A rust free wagon I picked up for $300. I actually put about 8000 mi on it before I parked it.

Attachments

• CIMG3566.jpg
    CIMG3566.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 141
  • CIMG3567.jpg
    CIMG3567.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 144
  • CIMG3568.jpg
    CIMG3568.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 143
Nice wagon! You called me out on that one. It's a '84 and later NA with AIR pump PS bracket,.... But you have to use the whole '84 and later NA v belt pulleys. Yours is different.

Thats not cool. A rust free wagon for $300! And its a lemans. Theres a nice lemans wagon sitting at a salvage yard a few hours from me. Stupid me didnt take a picture.

Ive got a dream of putting a 3800 series II supercharged motor into a G wagon. Be a practical and cool vehicle.

Actually the engine I picked up to turbo is an 84 and it came with all the accessories, including a/c. So I have the same ps/air pump bracket you have Adam. I took another look at the engine on the stand and the only part of the bracket that will interfere with the belt going on the middle groove of the crank pulley is the top air pump mount. And I'll be cutting that off anyway and replacing it with the upper arm from the 79 (photo). Which I would guess is why it didn't cause a problem for you either. So I think I have a pretty good plan for the alternator mount now. Thanks!

Rust free on the east coast no less. I snapped it up as fast as I could! It has the good TH350 in it too (not the metric one). I did have to spend some money on brakes, exhaust, shocks, belts, hoses, etc. to make it reliable first. So true cost is a bit more than $300.

Oh, and if anyone of you guys ever sees a Grand Am front fascia for sale let me know! That would look awesome on this wagon.

Here is how I have mine at the moment. My nice new aluminum alt bracket broke:mad: so I slapped the old stock heavy iron '79 brackets back on:rolleyes:

1000960.jpg

What's that extra part that extends past the alternator? Is that for a/c? Just curious. My 79 is non a/c and the 84 has that cast aluminum monstrocity on the pass side.

Yes, its for the A/C. I had the same bracket off my '85 motor, be real easy tightening it! Don`t want end up like me:mad: and getting the right belt might be a pain too, I bought 3 before I found the one that fit right.

OH MY GOODNESS!

would one of you guys want to sell you factory alt bracket?

i need that heavy iron one baddly........

A.j.

You probably have the '84/85 one then, right?

umm..... i might.... i have alot of the aluminum brackets... all are slightly different so im not sure which is which.... I had a ton of them at one time... but then I got needy for some beer and recycled a bunch...

oops.

A.j.