Alternator

Bigjack7440

What other alternator can we run on our cars. And what year car can I look up for the LS1 MAF? Thanks

I recently ordered an Alternator from Advance Auto online specifically for my 87. $134 with a $50 core and then minus 40% using coupon code "BIG40" when you order online. From what i researched here on the board you can find an alt from a 1996 Impala SS that should work although i have not tried it personally. They are readily available at most parts stores. Advance has them for $144 with a $10 core. Ours is rated at 120amps and the Impala is rated at 140amps. Another tidbit of info i read here on the board was that our cars may never come close to using the 120 amps but something like 107 amps with everything on while it was being dyno'ed...

With that being said, i may just return this one when i get it in the mail and pick up the impala ss alt (for $10 more) just in case i need another one later on down the line and i dont feel like waiting for 4 days to get one specifically for the GN...

Good luck.

or you can order parts from alternatorparts.com and rebuild it for less or upgrade it to a 140 or 200amp for a little more than the cost of a reman...

or you can order parts from alternatorparts.com and rebuild it for less or upgrade it to a 140 or 200amp for a little more than the cost of a reman...

I'm interested in checking this out, but they list a bajillion different kinds available. Which series alternator is on our cars?
Thanks!

Oreilly

Ok i just checked mine ( Mrg @ Oreillys) and it sales for ( 96 Impala) for $134.99 140 amps . My price can't say. The Buick sales for $124.99 so looks like I'll get the Impala 140amp . I will say this it's less than $100 and more than $70 , my price!!

Ok i just checked mine ( Mrg @ Oreillys) and it sales for ( 96 Impala) for $134.99 140 amps . My price can't say. The Buick sales for $124.99 so looks like I'll get the Impala 140amp . I will say this it's less than $100 and more than $70 , my price!!

Maybe for you its worth it but for others - they can probably replace just the bridge rectifier ( the most common part to go bad ) and the stator for $123.00 + shipping and have a 200amp unit - just a thought...

Another reason i am buying from the local parts store is because it comes with a lifetime warranty and if it goes bad i can just take it up there and walk out with another one without tearing it apart and trying to fix it myself...
:biggrin:

I can say my price, $80.99 + tax (134.99 with 40% off at advance auto online) :biggrin:

The bearings on my alt are bad. Does this 96 SS one bolt right on with no modifcations needed?

I recently ordered an Alternator from Advance Auto online specifically for my 87. $134 with a $50 core and then minus 40% using coupon code "BIG40" when you order online. From what i researched here on the board you can find an alt from a 1996 Impala SS that should work although i have not tried it personally. They are readily available at most parts stores. Advance has them for $144 with a $10 core. Ours is rated at 120amps and the Impala is rated at 140amps. Another tidbit of info i read here on the board was that our cars may never come close to using the 120 amps but something like 107 amps with everything on while it was being dyno'ed...

With that being said, i may just return this one when i get it in the mail and pick up the impala ss alt (for $10 more) just in case i need another one later on down the line and i dont feel like waiting for 4 days to get one specifically for the GN...

Good luck.

107 amps was correct on the tested GN, however, no 2 GNs are the same. I've even found fasteners to be different sizes. Any upgrades to your electrical load could even exceed 120 amps. I have an air pump on my TR for the air horns (gets attention on the hiway). I'm reluctant to go to 200 amp, however, the 140 amp from Advance is a drop in & has a lifetime warranty.

The bearings on my alt are bad. Does this 96 SS one bolt right on with no modifcations needed?

I had to change the terminal end on the battery wire that goes on the back of the alternator,the eye was to small in the factory terminal end.

I also had to get a different belt, i have under drive pulleys on the crank and water pump so you may not have to change yours. Just something to keep in mind though.

For the most part, yes.

Like everyone else says, you have to enlarge the eye on the terminal of the wire that connects to the + for the alternator. I used a unibit and i had to enlarge the fuel pump hotwire terminal eye as well. Now, if this bad boy goes out on me i can walk over to Advance and swap it for free!

Thanks for the info. Wiring is somewhat of a specialty for me so expanding the eye hole posed no issue. :) Turns out my belt tensioner pulley is reallllly bad... so bad its making sparks! So I'll take a run to Autozone after class and see if I can get myself a replacement.