You can type here any text you want

Alum Drum Find. Will they fit?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HighMileage

Albany,NY
People go to FL on vacation. I left the frozen NE for my RV in FL.

Am I sitting on a beach?? No. I'm scrounging around junkyards looking for rare parts for my GN. :biggrin:

I found some aluminum drums. Not sure if I can use them. I looked in the Junkyard Donor List,but I'm not sure of what year it is. Also.. They were on an Olds with a hatchback. One emblem was "Salon". Others missing. It sort of looked like an older Cutlass. ? Salon Hatchback. ?? What the...?

Not much luck decoding the VIN: 3JO9F8D407029.

Gone was the rad hold-down with the emissions sticker. The doors were locked.

The car looked like it was perfect,and had 52,000mi,but has been sitting. It had just arrived in the j/y. Had to dig under the drums with a piece of metal,since it was sitting in the soft dirt on the drums. ...but I got 'em!

Cost: $10.60 total.

The car has new brake shoes,and these drums look really good. They have a bar-code sticker on them. Hopefully I can use them on my GN.

If they were on a G body, yep they sure will. I don't know of many other cars (other than OLD OLD Buicks) that had alum drums. They should look like these in the pics:

Attachments

• ALUM DRUMS.jpg
    ALUM DRUMS.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 320
If they were on a G body, yep they sure will. I don't know of many other cars (other than OLD OLD Buicks) that had alum drums. They should look like these in the pics:

From the looks of the pic,and mine,they do. But a hatchback G-body??

Attachments

• alumdrum.jpg
    alumdrum.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 332
They look right, good score. Not sure what the hatchback was. Apollo? Not sure if you have a large MM mic, but they say as long as there is a chamfer on the outer edge you should have enough meat left on the drums. HTH.

They were on an Olds with a hatchback. One emblem was "Salon". Others missing. It sort of looked like an older Cutlass. ? Salon Hatchback. ?? What the...?

Was it a car similar to this?...
The first two pictures (smaller ones) show a '79 model, but that body style was produced from '77-'80.

The third and fourth pictures show the '74-'77 body style also available as a hatchback...

I'm pretty sure that the drums from either body style should fit on a GN...

Claude.:smile:

Yep. Same color,etc as the top one on the right. That is still a G-body?

Is there anything else I can get off that car that would be considered a good find? Tomorrow is the last day I'll have to get anything.

I checked the radiator support. It is not aluminum.

I'm fairly sure it wouldn't have any braces. I just ordered some from Kirbans anyway.

Thanks for the info!

aluminum drums are pretty common out here, but the steel ones run a bit cooler for daily driving. Ive got plenty of underhood frame bracing if anyones interested.

Check the part number cast in to the drum, compare it to the known good number. Also the "max dia" figure, should be equal to about 9.5" in mm. Also, have the ID mic'd to make sure you will be able to use it. If it has a 4.5" x 5 bolt pattern, it should be fine.

Check the part number cast in to the drum, compare it to the known good number. Also the "max dia" figure, should be equal to about 9.5" in mm. Also, have the ID mic'd to make sure you will be able to use it. If it has a 4.5" x 5 bolt pattern, it should be fine.

Max dia: 243.55mm. Part number 1255496 CM R.

I sure hope I can use 'em. Had to pack them in my luggage from FL to NY. Good ol Southwest let me slide on the slightly overweight bag. Bags are free,unless they are over 50lbs. So far I have $10.60 invested in these drums.

Thanks for the reply.

Back