You can type here any text you want

Alum Vs. Iron head weight!?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Adam Connell

Monster Truckin since 87'
Well I have a new weight obsession and I cant seem to find the difference between the iron heads and aluminum GN1 heads... is there any data out there? I want to say the stock untouched head weighed in at 86lbs but Im not sure what equipment they had on them or if they were bare...

The real reason why Im asking is that I have always wanted a car that lifts the front wheels... and well... now I have the means and I want to get as much weight off the front end as possible!

Well I have a new weight obsession and I cant seem to find the difference between the iron heads and aluminum GN1 heads... is there any data out there? I want to say the stock untouched head weighed in at 86lbs but Im not sure what equipment they had on them or if they were bare...

The real reason why Im asking is that I have always wanted a car that lifts the front wheels... and well... now I have the means and I want to get as much weight off the front end as possible!

That is a good question and since i have both sitting here right now and just put them on the scale.

The aluminum GN1 head with shaft mounted T&D roller rocker arms installed weighs 17 lbs. ea.

The stock iron head with shaft mounted stock rocker arms installed weighs 33 lbs. ea.

I always thought the stock heads were heavier than this also. ;)

small block Chevy iron heads weigh about 50 pound fully assembled, and i think most aluminum heads for those engines weigh around 30 pounds each.

Those weights for the GN do make some sense, I shipped two bare stock heads with the intake at 86lbs.

Looks like aluminum heads save about 32lbs, not bad but definitely not worth spending the $$ on for only that purpose. ;) Though it is tempting.

WhiteHot1, please add those weights to the Library at T6P.com.

Back