You can type here any text you want

am I playing with death? tire question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tb3

elbows & a$$holes
I have Michelin XGT4s on my gn that where bought new back in spring of 1993. They have over 75% tread on them still, and look great with no visible signs of dry rot anywhere, I've inspected inbtween the treads and also on the sidewalls close to the rim where tires tend to dryrot. I'm going to the track in a couple weeks to do a couple 1/4 mile runs. This is a 13 second mostly stock gn. I don't plan on heating the tires up or anything like that for my launch, and will probably just do a low boost launch to minimize spin. My concern is the higher mph on these tires. Is there a risk for me at 90 plus speeds on this old of tire even if they appear to be in excellent condition?

Go for it...

As long as there are no dryrot cracks (bad ones at least), and no bulges in the sidewalls... I'd run them.

I once ran a pair of L60 15's that were sitting outside at a MI tire store for years (summer, winters, etc)... siped them (had a machine that cuts tire sipes), and ran them on the street and at track (they hooked like slicks:eek: ). They never came apart, and I was running 13.08's then with a Buick 455. Come to think of it... the 7.5 rear didn't last too long after installing them...hehe.

I think you'll be A-ok.

The rule of thumb is that a tire's "shelf life" is about six years.

When the rubber is molded into a tire, it includes certain additives, and these additives tend to "bloom out" (i.e. diffuse out) of the rubber over time, causing it to become more brittle and more prone to cracking. Even if those cracks aren't there (visible) yet, I would think they could develop very quickly when subjected to motion/load.

The only way I'd use a tire that old is on a car that doesn't see any "real" use - for example a show car that you back out of a trailer, and that doesn't see any street miles.

-Bob C.

Maybe it's a good excuse to buy some new tires.
You could also call the manufacturer and ask them if they recommend high speed use on tires that old.

I was with a buddy and we got a flat tire. we swapped out for his never used spare that had no visable rot. Down the road at 80mph we heard a loud bang. We thought the tire blew. Worse , the tread seperated and came off the tire. Kinda looked like a retread.

So even though the tire "looked" good it wasn't.
Keep in mind that there was damage to the bumper and fender. I was driving, and it felt like the whole car hit an ice patch.

I wouldn't risk it. not racing it.

IMO, you're playing Russian Roulette. I just recently chucked a full set of 235/60/15 Yokohama Z-rated tires because the date code indicated they were made in '94. They were mounted on a set of stock GN wheels I picked up locally. The seller couldn't remember when he bought the tires but they looked great. I drove on them for a couple of months until I realized that tire had been out of production for a long time so I decided to check the date code on the tires. That's when I figured out they were 14 years old! :eek:

Do some internet searches on tire failures, tire lifespan and tire separation. The most common mode of failure for old tires is "separation" (when the layers of steel, rubber, etc. come apart) and they don't have to show any signs on dry rot to be a potential hazard.

the condition of your tires is directly related to how safe the vehicle is to drive. my suggestion is to pony-up and buy new tires instead of gambling on old tires. :cool:

get some tires.... Why risk getting hurt or wrecking your car over a set of tires?

I'm convinced. I'll not be doing any racing on these tires. i appreciate all the feedback. I guess its time for some nice centerlines with drag radials for when I go to the track.

One quick question, this little "dimple" thats circled,... it creases in a little bit, is that just where the radial "seam" is located?

tia

Use them on the next burnout contest. These cars are too fast and heavy to risk using an old tire on in my opinion.

I'm convinced. I'll not be doing any racing on these tires. i appreciate all the feedback. I guess its time for some nice centerlines with drag radials for when I go to the track.

One quick question, this little "dimple" thats circled,... it creases in a little bit, is that just where the radial "seam" is located?

tia

also interested....I have seen that on new tires with less than 5000 miles..?? anybody know?:confused:

tia

yes
:cool:

Playing with Death is what gets the Adrenaline pumping ...........i say run then isnt that the point of these cars ...........or you can buy a Volvo . its not the tire you need to worry about its when the bottom end drops 6 qts of oil on your rear tire at 100+ :D

Back