Another Cornpowered Buick on the road

fatride

Finally it's on the road and running. 100% E85. So far 29lbs of Boost and no knock. I have some tuning to do, car is hard starting, worse when the car is hot. Still need to play around with BS3. I need to put a thanks out to Tom J, Dr. Boost, and TurboCliff for getting me on the road!!!! :D

That is awesome you got her up and running man! Now you can help me out converting my car!!!!!!;)

Fatride,
Way to go! I'm sure most of us would be interested in learning exactly what you did to make the conversion. Sounds like a fast ride.
Conrad

Well This is the list of things I changed to run E85. If things work out this summer next year I will be adding a Champion fuel rail and a nice sumped tank. For now I had a -10 fitting welded to the bottom of the tank and I'm using the stock fuel rail w/ Turbofabricators -6 fitting to replace the stock style FPR. I have a -10 line w/ 100 mic.stainless mesh pre filter to the Weldon 2015 pump. out of the pump I have a 40mic. stainless mesh filter into a -8 feed line to the rail. Turbofabricators -6 fitting into an external FPR, then a -6 back to the tank. I bought a NA fuel sender and hooked the return line to the feed line of the sender to get to the bottom of the tank. Went with 120lb injectors. Running Autolite 23's gapped at a tight .30. With the stock fuel rail and -6 return I can get the FP as low as 20psi. I have alot to learn about tuning this stuff, The only problems I'm having is cold crank and warm crank. I need to figure out what to change in BS3 to resolve these issues. Other than that I'm at 29lbs boost and no knock. The most I have seen at a shift is 2* of knock. I will get a few pics of the FPR and Turbofabricators fitting sometime during the week. I have not had much luck with some vendors so far.
HTH

Wow that's a lot of boost, what's your timing?

On cold cranking, try adding more pulse width. I'm noticing on the GTO that I have to pump the gas pedal a bunch of times on the first initial start of the day to get it to fire.

With the Weldon and that fuel setup I'd only worry about injector 1 getting starved if you really start pushing it with those 120's. I'd consider a bigger rail for 120's and E85 than the Champion, there was someone out there that had a bolt on -10 with a bigger ID rail for us.

E85 at the Marathon on Rand in Arlington Hts was $3.79 a couple days ago, 40 cents cheaper than 87. :biggrin:

Fatride,
Thanks for the info! Looks like a thoughtful install.
Conrad

Nick I have a question.

Since Ur up and running, can U tell me what kind of mileage ur getting on that e85? Im just trying to figure out the over all economics behind the conversion.

Wow that's a lot of boost, what's your timing?

On cold cranking, try adding more pulse width. I'm noticing on the GTO that I have to pump the gas pedal a bunch of times on the first initial start of the day to get it to fire.

With the Weldon and that fuel setup I'd only worry about injector 1 getting starved if you really start pushing it with those 120's. I'd consider a bigger rail for 120's and E85 than the Champion, there was someone out there that had a bolt on -10 with a bigger ID rail for us.

E85 at the Marathon on Rand in Arlington Hts was $3.79 a couple days ago, 40 cents cheaper than 87. :biggrin:

The inside of my stock fuel rail measured .625. I think the stock rail is large enough if the proper fittings are welded on. I have gone 132mph with the 120inj., weldon pump, e85 and stock modded rail and have shown no signs of #1 going lean yet.

I just went to a car show on Sunday. Round trip was right around 50 miles. The car used approx. 1/8 tank. Once I get more miles on her I can post more info on mileage. I have my timing set at 22* now. I still have alot of tuning to work on the get it dialed in.......

I appreciate the effort you guys are putting out to make this work. I would like my car set up to only run on E-85 once it's finished.

As a side note, my wife just filled up her Avalanche two days ago at a Shell near Rockford with E-85. $2.79 a gallon. In her truck the mileage is down about 20%vs. gas.

Finally it's on the road and running. 100% E85. So far 29lbs of Boost and no knock. I have some tuning to do, car is hard starting, worse when the car is hot. Still need to play around with BS3. I need to put a thanks out to Tom J, Dr. Boost, and TurboCliff for getting me on the road!!!! :D

I remember back in the day when FATRIDE still had a slow car :biggrin: