another HV cover idea.

BlackBandit

God loves Buicks!
I just posted in another thread and decided I'd start another one for a similar idea. Allot is said about the extrem pressures developed by hv covers and how it's bad for the front cam bearing. I decided to do an hv cover with some other oiling mods but just run a thinner oil. IE: get as much FLOW as possible and just use a lighter weight oil to get the desired oil pressure. Does this make sense to anyone else? Just curious. james

I just posted in another thread and decided I'd start another one for a similar idea. Allot is said about the extrem pressures developed by hv covers and how it's bad for the front cam bearing. I decided to do an hv cover with some other oiling mods but just run a thinner oil. IE: get as much FLOW as possible and just use a lighter weight oil to get the desired oil pressure. Does this make sense to anyone else? Just curious. james

The HV pump has increased flow of around 30%.
With the higher flow, there is higher pressure due to the constant restriction in flow (read "bearing clearances"). Pressure is required as is flow. But, Iam sure you already know this ...... I am just "typing out loud". :biggrin:
With the correct oiling mods to the main bearings, there should be no issues, especially with the thinner oil.

Having said all that, the HV pmp is really not needed if the motor is build right.
While I am no expert, what you are stating makes perfect sense to me. :cool:

Makes sense to me. That's what I have been doing. I get good idle pressure, about 28psi hot, and run a 60 psi spring in the pump.

That's about what I get on my new engine. 24 psi hot (after driving around) and 60 pretty much any time above idle. Then it goes above 60 when I'm on it at higher rpms. That's with 10w-40. I'm going to run some 5w-30 and if I've still got good idle pressure I'm going to try going to a 0w-20 when I get an oil cooler.

Jerryl. I know you're right about the HV pump not being needed, but I'm thinking it would be better if you took advantage of it by running a thinner oil. Like, if you build an engine with a stock pump and have good oil pressure it would make sense to me that it would be better to use a HV pump on that engine and just use a thinner oil. That way you have the same pressure, and more flow to cool the bearings. That's the school of thought I went with. james

If the engine is apart...I highly recommend the DLS, Dutweiller, etc pump. You still use the stock cover. It isn't cheap (especially after buying all the hoses and fittings,) but I think it's worth the money. ........

Kevin,
GREAT system and GREAT car you have!
Maybe BlackBandit is "just" building a DD and won't need the external. :confused: