Antenna Troubles...

darkfa8

- driving everywhere -
replacing the cable in my power antenna...

any tips on how to get the finial off at the top of the antenna?

I tried using a socket on it, and pliers to keep the shft from spring, but it started to mar the shaft.. was spinning :\

Darkfa8: Sounds like you spent your weekend the same way I did. I was inspired to pull off my power antenna after someone here insisted that the power antenna r&r was easier than the thermostat. So this job that I had put off for 6 months made it to the top of my agenda, and it really was not bad to remove at all. I had a Radio Shack antenna ready as a replacement, but it looks like the electrical requirements of the Radio Shack item is different from the stock one. Plus the build quality just doesn't seem up to the GM standards. So I scratched that idea. I put 12vdc to the old antenna that I had already removed and heard a good, strong motor. So I pulled off the clips and drilled out the rivets to have a look-see. The cable that retracts the antenna was broken about 4" from the bottom. I evaluated the possibility of splicing the broken parts together and concluded that nothing I had at my disposal could butt splice these together, remain flexible, and sustain the stress required. So I considered removing the metal end that engages on the takeup wheel, and attach it on the broken end, and just foregoing the broken 4" off the bottom. This had a big drawback in shortening the fully-extended length of the antenna, and besides I saw no way to remove the metal aglet, much less reattach it to the broken end. I examined just the problem you mention, and even tried to remove the finial just as you did. No luck. I am not even sure that the cable goes all the way up to the top. As I see it, the antenna could be fully functional if the cable just attached to the bottom of that top section. Without pulling the antenna apart, my guess at this time is that the cable attached not to the finial, but to the bottom of that top section. I concluded that the cable is not replaceable, even by a persistent and capable handyman;) So tomorrow I will make a quick search of the junkyard, and if no luck there (and I have looked many times without success) then I am prepared to visit my GM dealership and very reluctantly part with about $120 for a new unit.

How do you get the old antenna out of the car? I tried i cant figure it out....
Sleeper87GN

Check out www.gnttype.org -- they have a complete troubleshooting guide and walk-through under their tech section. I used it to replace my power antenna.

It's somewhat annoying, but not too bad with the instructions.

good luck,
-S.

Yes, I used the gnttype.org guide, and only have these suggestions/additions: DO use masking tape on the edge of your fender next to the door, this will eliminate scratched paint. Instead of the 10mm open end wrench, I used a 1/4" ratchet with a 10mm socket for most of the door bolts. When the instructions say remove the 3 bolts on the inside of the fender, they do not mean inside the hood along the fender line. And they especially DO NOT MEAN the two 13mm bolts that hold the hood support!! Doh! What they mean are the bottom 3 bolts inside the wheel well. The antenna drops out the bottom when you separate the fender. Definitely not a long or difficult process to remove, but I have not reinstalled mine yet, so no comments there.

It's been a few years since I did the last one, but, as I recall, the tip simply unscrews...I don't remember any difficulty. I have always just put the repair kit cable in.

You can look at the repair kit cable and see the threads in the finial, I believe.

Antenna

You're right Steve. It's a real simple operation once you get the unit out from behind the fender. If your cable is the problem, just order GM part number 22038195. This is the plastic cable attached to the top / narrow portion or the mast. Check the GM web site under AC Delco, parts and part number. It'll list the antenna kit for under $18.00. Typical of GM, the antenna was used for about a million years on everything that had a power antenna, so it's difficult to get the wrong part. I've replaced mine once on my GN and twice on my El Camino. Hope this helps.:cool: