Any "BB gun" people in here?

My buddy got a couple pellet rifles from walmart. They are a break barrel, over 1000 FPS .177 cal pellet. They are not a repeater, single shot only.

BUT, you can keep one in the chamber cocked and ready to go and it will not leak over a fair amount of time, say one week (we can't go over a week w/o shooting them :D ). AND, they are SPOT ON when you set them up. I was very amazed at how well they shoot. They almost kick like a real .22!

We have killed all kinds of small game with the pointed field pellets. Including squirrel, birds, and even a few pesky tomcats.

If you are looking to get something to ward off a dog from getting to your daughter, get a 12 ga shotgun and practice so you are familiar with the distance/spread pattern. Or, the dog mace sounds like a good idea if you are in a public area.

Oh, the air rifle was the most expensive one at walmart... 129.00 if I remember correctly.

good luck!

Vic

Oh, by pests I meant dogs. I guess I knew what it meant and didnt think it mattered. I would have to use a bb gun when walking around the neighborhood, cant walk around with a shotgun, or fire a real gun in a subdivision without risking other people. BTW, its not for me as much as my gf walking her around.
Could I use a .22 pistol and not get in trouble?

http://www.pipersprecisionproducts.com/ :eek:

I just use a crosman 760B pumpmaster. Cheap. The B model uses a five round pellet clip. Still have to **** it each time, but the clip makes it easy. After 200 rounds or so you would be surprised at how fast you can get a second shot off if you really want to. It is really accurate too after you get the hang of the sights. Killed many a squirrel and a couple rabbits. Pump action means you can shoot a dog in the a$$ with only five pumps and not pose a serious risk to their health. Besides, if it's in your yard, who cares if you kill it? If the neighbors are that proud of their dog they shouldn't let it run around the neighborhood. I have a couple that keep digging under my wooden deck and they are going to be dead very soon if the neighbors don't listen to my warnings. Don't risk your kids, especially if the dogs are mean or have any pit or rott in them.

i have one of the $30 ones they occasionally sell at harbor freight. its not expensive but man is it a great gun. its a .177 and pretty much only shoots pelets unless your shooting a bird or something above you, there is no way to keep a bb from rolling out. its very consistant and nearly as effective as a real .22 i think it is rated at something like 1,500 fps, which is more than enough. I put an o-ring in the seal area, it came with a little plactic washer that quickly broke, that alone made it noticeable stronger. as far as the sound, it sounds like a big spring hitting a piece of metal. thats about all it is really. its a single shot with one big lever to pull, drop a new pellet in and shoot again, it goes relitively quick with a little pratice.

my only complaint is the small dovetail groves for a scope. i've broken about 3 scope clamps, there isn't enough material for it to grab onto. i filed the brackets on my scope down a lot and i haven't had a problem since, it just has to have a good snug fit. also they have a petty ugly colored stock, i sanded mine down and put some nice dark stain on it, if i were to do it again i'd go flat black but thats just me.

for $30 its worth trying it, i've seen a lot of "high quality" ones out there going for $120 and up and really i don't see how they could be any better for shooting pests and the occational aerosol can.

equally, if not more important is the ammo. i've been using premier hollow points from walmart, they are fairly cheap (most expensive ones at walmart, not that its too pricy though) and are more consistant than i am. i usually shoot targets at about 50 yards or so and if i rest the gun on something (take me out of the equasion) i can almost always hit a group within a 2" circle or better. (with me holding it i'm lucky to hit the target. i mean, each shot goes through the exact same hole...)

so your wanting to give this to your gf so she can walk around with it? sounds like your better off with pepper spray or something that looks less like a gun. wanna see people freak out? show them a gun. the mental image i'm getting here is your gf and kid walking down the street with a gun to shoot any dogs coming along. in that case, bad idea. now if its in your back yard and you see a dog coming in 9 times out of 10 throwing a rock is going to do just as much good. i'd go for a paintball gun honestly or an airsoft. both can get a lot of shots off really fast. think of what your going to use it for first.

VADER said:
Wow, I didnt really expect any responses to this one. The reason I want a repeater is for loose dogs that are around when my daughter is out, one shot well, hope you hit them. and snakes too. Maybe mace? Paintball gun sounds good.

Get some bear spray. It's really potent pepper spray in a bigger canister. It puts out a fog instead of a stream and, I can tell you from personal experience, it is NASTY stuff. It WILL put down a dog... ask me how I know :biggrin:

For dogs I'd rather carry that than a BB or pellet gun any day. It's way more effective and you're not walking around with a gun... which freaks people out even if it's just a BB gun. Plus, the dog is not harmed. Once the bear spray wears off the dog is fine.

AZ Vic said:
My buddy got a couple pellet rifles from walmart. They are a break barrel, over 1000 FPS .177 cal pellet. They are not a repeater, single shot only.

BUT, you can keep one in the chamber cocked and ready to go and it will not leak over a fair amount of time, say one week (we can't go over a week w/o shooting them :D ). AND, they are SPOT ON when you set them up. I was very amazed at how well they shoot. They almost kick like a real .22!

We have killed all kinds of small game with the pointed field pellets. Including squirrel, birds, and even a few pesky tomcats.

If you are looking to get something to ward off a dog from getting to your daughter, get a 12 ga shotgun and practice so you are familiar with the distance/spread pattern. Or, the dog mace sounds like a good idea if you are in a public area.

Oh, the air rifle was the most expensive one at walmart... 129.00 if I remember correctly.

good luck!

Vic
The barrel **** type guns do not leak off pressure, when they are cocked , it pulls the piston back against the spring, there is no pressure until the trigger is pulled and the piston is pushed by the spring, also its not good for the spring to leave it cocked for long periods of time. The manual that came with the gun should say that, mine did.

I have a Pellet Gun, a Benjamin H9A Serious-177 cal and wow, it is a powerful hand gun. I have killed many pest with it. But my favorite thing to use, and sometimes more fun, is my paintball gun. I have a Smartparts Nerve with a ramp board and I can fire 25+balls per second with ease. Nothing like emptying 200 paintballs in a few seconds on a coyote you don't want in your yard :D . But ya, the paintball gun I have runs about 700 bucks, but u can get a cheaper one that is just as fast n powerful to kill most snakes/pest.

+1 for the bear spray. If you live in a subdivision you do NOT want to be walking around with any type of loaded gun...yes bb guns are guns. The bear spray will make any animal stop in their tracks and is much more effective than one little BB against a dog who wants to attack someone.

Think of it this way....one little tiny BB against a dog who is all assed up. Or a CLOUD of pepper spray. Think about the effective area of each. Ive been shot by BB guns in the past, even the more powerful types. Do they hurt yes....would one stop me from attacking you....I seriously doubt it. I think you can come to your own decision.

-Jamin