Any carpenters on the board?

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Getting ready to replace the front entry door in my newly acquired money pit and lo and behold found some rot/termite damage underneath the sill of the front door of my raised ranch. Looks pretty bad under there.:( Once I pull the door and the sidelights out what am I facing? Looking at this area from underneath the landing of the stairs, I can't see any evidence of damage so I am hoping it is just the area directly under the sill. Home ownership is soooo much fun!

HOPEFULLY...

Any kind of a warranty with the sales transaction or from a pre-sale professional home inspection?

Failure of seller to disclose all existing needs/deficiencies/damages is an
actionable omission in most states,
under specific circumstances.

Was the home previously/recently serviced under contract
by a reputable exterminator? If so, check that contract
re: your current pest-caused damage.

You just moved in!
Hope all goes well.

We knew there was some damage to the hardwood floors and the seller paid for the treatment of the house but nothing was stated about paying for any damage. Couldn't find any other evidence of damage besides a few boards in the floor, couldn't see any structural damage at all. I really like the house and will see this thru but just wondering what I might face once I pull the door out. Won't be any turning back at that point.

Maybe the treatment that was appylied did not work.. This means you would have to get the seller to produce the company that did the insect work. Maybe the policy has a clause about fixing damage after treatmet or treatment failure... Becomes an ASSSACHE to get all parties involed..

Maybe time to run another SALE on the parts :)

& don't feel bad I just got $6800 & $7200 quotes for my roof & 2k for my driveway.. HOME OWNERSHIP AINT IT A BITCH!

What you may face might not be pretty.. In some cases I have heard that you cut the sill & repace with new section. If your foundation is below the rotted sill you maybe able to form up the area & do the itailian concrete thing.. My fatherinlaw was in the service & when the battleships had rotted deck or hit by artillary they would pur concrete decks.. Just food for thought..

Steve, this is OLD damage, nothing recent, might even be a combination of water damage over the years. There were traces of sand tubes so termites were involved. Guess I will have some plywood handy in case I can't get the repair done in a day and we can keep the critters from getting in the house and my son and cat inside. Not to mention that we are back in winter temps in the NE again. On vacation for the next week so have lots of major projects in the works.

Tile fix?

I really can't visualize your situation, but you may be able to replace a good sized area of the subfloor with stout layers of plywood, then underlayment, then (in quickset cement) put tile over the entry way.

You can add an oak threshold right under the door. Does that sound like it would fit your situation?

HTH :)

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted
Getting ready to replace the front entry door in my newly acquired money pit and lo and behold found some rot/termite damage underneath the sill of the front door of my raised ranch. Looks pretty bad under there.:( Once I pull the door and the sidelights out what am I facing? Looking at this area from underneath the landing of the stairs, I can't see any evidence of damage so I am hoping it is just the area directly under the sill. Home ownership is soooo much fun!

Send me your phone number and I help you with your problem.
Iam a lic contractor and in my company We specialize in termite damage repair and future prevention of termite problems. In Florida we have major termite battels...but there are cures.

Jesse

I'll take some dig pics of the damage today and post the links here. I had already taken up the slate floor on the landing inside the entry area and put new underlayment down but thankfully didn't do the tile yet as I knew I was going to be replacing the door soon. Once I rip the door out I will have a better idea on what I am up against.

the law is on your side here, termites are so destructive that the law really takes the side of the new owner. if you call an exterminator, call a small local company. places like terminex are owned by service master and run the same was as chemlawn ( bad news )

Got the existing door removed in no time flat, was pretty much just held by one screw belive it or not! Ripped out all the damage wood, all just below the threshold. Got it all replaced and the door installed in about 6 hours. Just need to find a bit bigger brickmould for it as it is about an inch narrower than the previous unit. The wife comes out to look at the nearly finished job and says, I'm not crazy about it. Well guess what, she picked it out and is stuck with it!

Looks pretty nice to me except for one thing, we got a door that has a hinged sidelight, great idea but was looking at it and realized that I don't think you can install a screen/storm door with this unit. Oh well, that's what A/C is for!