Any current GM mechanics w/ ABS experience?

sd-slider

NOWUFFO
Trying to resolve a gremlin in the brake system on our 2008 Saturn Vue SUV.

The issue started a few weeks ago when the brakes would intermittently engage/drag after just a few minutes in stop and go traffic. Once they started dragging, the car was noticeably sluggish and did not roll in gear when the brake was released. If you pumped it a few times it would release for a little bit then return. An OBD2 scan returns no ABS errors and turning off the traction control does not help...aaargh!

After replacing the calipers, hoses, and master cylinder that was leaking fluid into the booster, then a total flush of all the fluid, the issue is still present. It is much stronger now with all of the new hardware.

Extensive research on numerous GM, Saturn, and Commodore forums yield a plethora of similar issues and complaints yet no TSB's from GM.

Any current GM techs have access to any inside information that may point me in the right direction? There are at least a dozen horror stories on the Saturn forums where cars have been taken to the dealer and after a complete overhaul of the brakes, the problem resurfaces within a matter of hours....

Although I enjoy driving the GN to work every day, I do not enjoy all of the gravel trucks on the road at the same time...

Any information or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Trying to resolve a gremlin in the brake system on our 2008 Saturn Vue SUV.

The issue started a few weeks ago when the brakes would intermittently engage/drag after just a few minutes in stop and go traffic. Once they started dragging, the car was noticeably sluggish and did not roll in gear when the brake was released. If you pumped it a few times it would release for a little bit then return. An OBD2 scan returns no ABS errors and turning off the traction control does not help...aaargh!

After replacing the calipers, hoses, and master cylinder that was leaking fluid into the booster, then a total flush of all the fluid, the issue is still present. It is much stronger now with all of the new hardware.

Extensive research on numerous GM, Saturn, and Commodore forums yield a plethora of similar issues and complaints yet no TSB's from GM.

Any current GM techs have access to any inside information that may point me in the right direction? There are at least a dozen horror stories on the Saturn forums where cars have been taken to the dealer and after a complete overhaul of the brakes, the problem resurfaces within a matter of hours....

Although I enjoy driving the GN to work every day, I do not enjoy all of the gravel trucks on the road at the same time...

Any information or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
google...

A suggestion trace all the brake line routing to make sure none of the lines got inadvertently reversed. Also make sure the master cly push rod has the proper free play clearance.

Actually here is a TSB regarding your concern.
If this does not help.... Try removing the vacuum line to the booster when the brake drag is occurring and see if the pressure releases. this could indicate a sticking booster. I have yet to see this problem and I have worked on saturns since before there were Vue's. Problem could still be a EBCM applying brakes when it shouldn't.

#PIT4567: INTERMITTENT BRAKE DRAG OR PULSATION - KEYWORDS BIND BOOSTER CALIPER CYLINDER HYDRAULIC MASTER PEDAL STICK TORQUE (JAN 29, 2008)
Subject: Intermittent Brake Drag Or Pulsation

Models: 2008 Saturn VUE
Get
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may complain about an intermittent brake drag, brakes getting hot or a brake pulsation. This can be caused if the brake pedal pivot bolt is over torqued.

Recommendation/Instructions:
  1. Loosen the brake pedal pivot bolt.
  2. Re-tighten the brake pedal pivot bolt to 18 N·m (+/- 2 N·m).

Last edited:
A suggestion trace all the brake line routing to make sure none of the lines got inadvertently reversed. Also make sure the master cly push rod has the proper free play clearance.
Lou, Thanks. I have examined all 373 feet of brake line and hose and can find no apparent binding or stress of any kind. The clearance is within spec.

Actually here is a TSB regarding your concern.
If this does not help.... Try removing the vacuum line to the booster when the brake drag is occurring and see if the pressure releases. this could indicate a sticking booster.
#PIT4567: INTERMITTENT BRAKE DRAG OR PULSATION - KEYWORDS BIND BOOSTER CALIPER CYLINDER HYDRAULIC MASTER PEDAL STICK TORQUE (JAN 29, 2008)
Subject: Intermittent Brake Drag Or Pulsation

Models: 2008 Saturn VUE

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may complain about an intermittent brake drag, brakes getting hot or a brake pulsation. This can be caused if the brake pedal pivot bolt is over torqued.

Recommendation/Instructions:
  1. Loosen the brake pedal pivot bolt.
  2. Re-tighten the brake pedal pivot bolt to 18 N·m (+/- 2 N·m).
QWK,

Thanks also. When I was stranded on Sunday I did just that and it only slighty reduced the brake pressure. My guess was the lack of power assist made up for the difference.

I'll check the pedal pivot bolt and see what it takes to crack it and then re-tighten and test.