You can type here any text you want

Any difference in pre 86 3.8 and post 86?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wicked WE4

Just bought an 87 WE4 and thinking of getting another engine to rebuild while I drive it. I know where a non intercooled engine is for cheap and was wondering if there is any differenes in these engines, internally or are the
blocks and heads different?

depends on the year of engine? first off 1985 and older engines do not have the boss for the turbo drainback.you could just have a hole machined in the front of the block or do what my buddy did and tap a hole in the fuel pump block off and return the oil there. all 86-87 blocks were 20 bolt oilpan some
85's also 20 bolt all 84 and older had 14 bolt pans .you have to have the correct front cover to match the oil pan.

is the other engine efi or carbed engine? what are they asking for the other engine? i bought a 85 gn earlier this year that had a 109 block. apparently it was swapped out under warranty it also had a gm reman tranny in it as well which also had newer upgraded stuff in it. get the code off the side of the engine you were looking at and count oilpan bolts for starters.

85 is a split/strange year. It had 14 and 20 bolt blocks and one of them is an interim version made like the early blocks but has 20 bolts in it. As long as the block is a RWD and made after 78 you should be able to use it. Just have to drill the drain for the turbo.

Back