Any Duramax owners out there?

jojoe5

Just wanted to know if there was any other duramax owners out there and what mods have you made to yours,

I've got a 2003 Silverado 2500HD.

No mods yet. SInce the Buick has been wrecked it has been the target of all cash.

But I'm sure there's a couple guys on here that can point you in the right direction!

K&N FIPK kit easy install and improved throttle response, that is it so far.
Ron

Thanks for the reply. I have an Edge juice box that I am going to sell and wanted to see if anyone on here was looking for one.

duramax 2003

my moms got one i got her to put a hyper tech chip in....major difference.......the truck flys...three settings....50hp-70hp-90hp.....i set it on 90 and it roasted the tires thru second gear with alittle stahl.........worth the $380 easy to instll and change....u can do so much with that chip...change shift points, correct ur odometer and well make your truck fly......

Originally posted by jojoe5
Thanks for the reply. I have an Edge juice box that I am going to sell and wanted to see if anyone on here was looking for one.

Send me a PM or an e-mail with a price. I may be interested. Thanks!

Bruce just had to buy a new truck. He got a 1 ton duramax dually. Cal Hartline is setting us up with a chip for it that is killer. Then the K&N will also be going on. Will be interesting to see what others have done and what type of improvement it's been. We have to have a lot of owners out there that can add to this. Let's hear from them. Mark

i have a 01 2500hd 4wd. it has a k+n, straight thru muffler, ats converter with clutch pak upgrades and the predator hand held computer upgrade. on the 100 hp setting it went 14:88 @ 88mph with a 1.99 60 ft. not bad for 7,000 lbs.

Originally posted by jojoe5
Just wanted to know if there was any other duramax owners out there and what mods have you made to yours,
Ask Joe Burkhart in the Transmission forum (I don't think he spends much time in the lounge). Joe's certainly got one of the most powerful ones I know. I think he's dyno'd at over 850 ft/lbs at the rear wheels and it’s an automatic!

Quick story. I met him down at E-Town with his stage car a few months ago. He was pulling it down in a fully loaded 26' enclosed trailer with generator and compressor. Figure with the stage car loaded up it's got to weigh at least 8,000 lbs. Joe's truck is a 2500HD 4x4 crew cab so it isn't exactly light. Anyway, as we are leaving Raceway Park he took off up Pension Road with the trailer in tow. I couldn't keep up in my Subaru. Now mind you my Outback is slow but I would have thought on a level surface that I could have kept up with a crew cab 4x4 pickup truck towing at least 8,000 lbs. Not a chance he just kept pulling away up to about 60 mph where he leveled out. I was definitely impressed. And the truck is really quiet. If I'm ever going to buy a tow vehicle it's going to be a Duramax!

Don't have the balls to mod the truck with the warrantee still in effect. Either way GM isn't stupid(or are they) and can figure out if the thing is beat up or not.

It have more than enough power as-is to tow and get the job done at work.

I am watching closely to see how they hold up durablilty wise before I mod mine if ever. Curious how the head gaskets will work for the long haul.

P.S. my 8' bed ext cab 2500HD tipped the scales at 7480 with about 300 lbs worth of tools on it, so these trucks are not light.

From what I understand from Joe Burkhart is that the weak link is that Alison trans, not the engine. It's strong enough with the stock engine output. There's a reason they have the torque limiter, it's because of the transmission. I think the torque limit is in the 700 ft/lb range. I think it starts limiting fuel or something like that. There is an aftermarket HD rebuild kit for the Alison trans but I don't know how much better it becomes. Suppose to sharpen the shifts as well as strengthen the trans.

Personally I’m waiting for them to start producing a diesel Suburban/Yukon XL again. Not suppose to be the V8 6.6L Duramax but a new V6 5.0L Duramax. Problem is that the Alison transmission can’t fit in the Suburban’s transmission well so they need to use the one installed for the 8.1L/6.0L gas motors. I’d bet that combination will get 20+ MPH in the biggest SUV (since Excursion is canceled for 2005), pretty cool!

Hey Turbo, what we were told when I was at Chevy was that the trans had a limit of 700'# in a mid duty truck (Isuzu). Those trucks had a GVW of over 28,000 #. At that weight 700'# can cause problems. In the p/u's the only problem I ever saw was that people never read their owners manual to see that the trans is slightly noisier that most smaller truck trans' and we had to point that out to them. Even though all the salesmen told the customers of that first off. I am normally a Ford man, but after towing over 7,000# behind Bruce's new one over the Tehachapi grade, I now have a new love, it is call duramax. Mark

Originally posted by 2quiktocare
Hey Turbo, what we were told when I was at Chevy was that the trans had a limit of 700'# in a mid duty truck (Isuzu). Those trucks had a GVW of over 28,000 #. At that weight 700'# can cause problems. In the p/u's the only problem I ever saw was that people never read their owners manual to see that the trans is slightly noisier that most smaller truck trans' and we had to point that out to them. Even though all the salesmen told the customers of that first off. I am normally a Ford man, but after towing over 7,000# behind Bruce's new one over the Tehachapi grade, I now have a new love, it is call duramax. Mark
Which trans, the Alison or the one behind the 6.0L gas one?

I don't own one myself. Going by what people in the Duramax club say. Seems a number of them have had the trans's warranted by GM.