You can type here any text you want

Any experience "reconditioning" GTA wheels?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GoldHawg

Trying to do the cost/benefit analysis for GTA wheels. How much does it cost to recondition GTA wheels? In what kind of shape do the wheels have to start in? Does reconditioning include painting the centers (so if you get gold they paint black)? Seems like a set of reconditioned wheels go for ~$1000, but may be able to find rough GTAs for less than a 100 each.

Anybody have sources they recommend that provide this service?

Thx for any thoughts you have.

Thx...so do I take it your answer is its more cost effective to buy cheaper GTA wheels and have them reconditioned? If so, does the reconditioning process fix anything or are there certain blemishes it can't correct?

Copy...I'll give him a call. I just always like to hear personal experiences as well...not just a vendor.

Thx again!

I have a local rim shop who will do all of my GTA wheels(powdercoated black, etc...) for $150 a wheel. I guess thats a fair price.:confused:

If you dont mind lots of elbow grease to get them looking good....I would do them yourself. I just finished restoring a set for my car. Sanded off the clear up to 1000 grit. Polished the lips to mirror finish. Painted the inside silver and the front black. Spent about $40 total on the resto. But aprox 20 hours labor over the past 3 weeks. I will probably have arthritis in my hands but....they look sick now. I have a few pics on my link before I painted them.

Way2QWK - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I have a local rim shop who will do all of my GTA wheels(powdercoated black, etc...) for $150 a wheel. I guess thats a fair price.:confused:

I think thats the goin rate right now .. wheels come out shinier than new :cool:

Way2QWK - What kind of paint did you use to do them???? They look great. I have a gold set now that I'm going to do myself. I'm just not sure what the best kind of paint to get is? Did you clear them also?

I used wheel specific paint from VHT. They stock it at the local hot rod shop and Checker Auto's Parts performance section. It has held up good so far. The car does not get dirty often. Have washed the wheels only once since the wheel resto. No clear coat.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VHT-SP187/

Back