Any M1 Garand Owner's out there?

acoen

The reason I'm asking because I may be purchasing a nice one. The Garand I'm looking at has a new stock, NOS reciever, NOS piston rod, new barrel and in nearly mint condition. Comes with a sling and several stripper type clips with case. Any thoughts on pricing....Being sold for $850 by a co-worker....again I would have to say a 98% condition rifle....Thanks guys

Aaron

M1 Garand

Sounds worth the price if everthing is NOS. Have you taken it out to see what kind of group she lays down. I would definately go out and shoot it if the owner is cool with that. Saw a cool show on the Military Channel it was the top 10 best rifles ever made. The Garand as you know made the list..

be ready for 1 hell of a kick, if you do go shooting, thats a good price for a mint rifle, i have 3 rifles, my m1 kicks like a mule, way more than my ar-15a2 and my remmington 700pdm sniper rifle has very little recoil. but the m 1 :eek: here's a pick of my baby:cool:

Attachments

• m-1.JPG
    m-1.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 187
everything minus the barrel is NOS...the barel is current manufacterer new. The receiver is Springfield armory '55 vintage. He just mentioned everything is NOS '55 except for the barrel which as mentioned before new current manufacturer. I think $850 is a good deal, I see several priced much higher than that....BTW I have seen the same show. Always wanted a Garand!

be ready for 1 hell of a kick, if you do go shooting, thats a good price for a mint rifle, i have 3 rifles, my m1 kicks like a mule, way more than my ar-15a2 and my remmington 700pdm sniper rifle has very little recoil. but the m 1 :eek: here's a pick of my baby:cool:

It will hurt sooo good:D I've wanted one of these for years, more of a nostalgia thing for me. My grandfather brought back an Ariska 6.5mm and a Samari sword from the Pacific Theater, both taken from the battlefield. We used to shoot the Ariska from time to time. After he passed away in '93 we were approached about a Japanese battle flag with his name on it. Apparently while he was in Nagaski after the war his squad signed several. Long story short, we purchased the flag and sure enough his signature along with about 12 other Marines showed up on the flag. The M1 will just add to the family collection...

If all the parts are from the same manufacturer, say like, Springfield Armory, then that's a plus. I love mine. Sweet shooting gun. I don't think it kicks that hard. Very comfortable gun to shoot. The gas tube that runs the semi-auto action takes some of the pressure and reduces the kick a bit. My bolt action Mosin-Nagant 91/30 kicks alot harder. $850 sounds like a pretty good deal. I gave $900 for mine.

If all the parts are from the same manufacturer, say like, Springfield Armory, then that's a plus. I love mine. Sweet shooting gun. I don't think it kicks that hard. Very comfortable gun to shoot. The gas tube that runs the semi-auto action takes some of the pressure and reduces the kick a bit. My bolt action Mosin-Nagant 91/30 kicks alot harder. $850 sounds like a pretty good deal. I gave $900 for mine.

I believe the only none Springfield parts are the barrel and stock...The rifle looks nearly new.

If you like kick shoot a Barrett .50 when you get the chance. Now that my friend is kick.

Now that I think about it, if one of these kicks hard, check your ammo. Make sure its the 158 grain. This is what they were designed for. Any more than that and you are taking chances with the gas tube, among other things. A very pricey fix. With 158 grain ammo, the gun shoots nice and you gain little to nothing by using higher grain hunting shells. All the military ammo for these is the 158 stuff. Also, when buying military surplus ammo, you have to do your homework and be sure it's the non-corrosive type. Alot of the overseas produced shells are corrosive. Buyer beware.

I believe the only none Springfield parts are the barrel and stock...The rifle looks nearly new.

I'm assuming it's a 7.62nato then? I don't pressently own one (WISH I DID)!!
I shot for the Navy rifle team (rifle expert, pistol sharpshooter) (many years ago :wink: ), and even though it's a heavy, bulky thing, I loved shooting it!!! Even on the 1,000 yard ranges, with a good spotter, you could keep a pretty good grouping! Tons of fun to shoot, and with the right ammo, not enough recoil to be problematic.

Turbodave,
7.62 nato (308 cal) is ammo for the M14, The M1 Garand is a 30-06 and I don't remember the nato. From using one and cleaning it, I can tell you about the famous M1 thumb. :eek:
These rifles don't use external clips, but do have internal "clip" that you use stripper (with ammo) to quickly reload.

Gary

regretably, I don't own one (yet!). I've shot my buddies Garand which was "tweaked" for high-power rifle competition. I've been wanting to purchase one through the CMP, but I don't have time to meet the criteria.

Actually, I think I'd rather have an M14 as it's better suited to someone my size.

It will hurt sooo good:D I've wanted one of these for years, more of a nostalgia thing for me. My grandfather brought back an Ariska 6.5mm and a Samari sword from the Pacific Theater, both taken from the battlefield. We used to shoot the Ariska from time to time. After he passed away in '93 we were approached about a Japanese battle flag with his name on it. Apparently while he was in Nagaski after the war his squad signed several. Long story short, we purchased the flag and sure enough his signature along with about 12 other Marines showed up on the flag. The M1 will just add to the family collection...

wow now that is an awesome piece of history :) , finding a battle flag with his squad sig on it is priceless.

wow now that is an awesome piece of history :) , finding a battle flag with his squad sig on it is priceless.

Thanks, it was an amazing find to say the least. I could easily write a book of stories he shared with me and the stuff him and I used to get into. The man practically raised me in an old tire shop he owned. The old service men that used to come in and visit, their stories were also amazing.

My Grandfather told me stories he shared with no one else, ones that you cannot believe. Some extremely funny and some horrifying. He fought in three major campaigns not counting the occupation of Nagasaki. The flag was one of the highlights of my life giving the flag to my uncle (his son of course), wish he would have been there to withness it. I will try to get a photo of it if I remember. His most prized material posessions was his Araska 6.5mm and Samari Sword. Both pulled off the battle field, early in the war. He fought on Tinian, Siapan and Okanawa, in every campaign he was in the second wave to hit the shores. I will tell you, my father is tough, but I have never seen anyone as tough as my grandfather....swinging a sledge hammer at 65 years old, breaking down truck tires at his tire shop....I have never seen anything like it in my life. At twenty he used to ware down the heals of my boots no mater where we traveled. .Glad he was a part of my life...Marine through and through...Sure miss him:(

Semper Fi....!

His favorite rifle was the M1 Garand, he would have loved to have one in the states. I don't have the artifacts from the war my uncle has them now, but I thought if I could secure a nice M1 it would make for a nice addition to the family collection....

Thanks again for the kind words,

Aaron

Turbodave,
7.62 nato (308 cal) is ammo for the M14, The M1 Garand is a 30-06 and I don't remember the nato. From using one and cleaning it, I can tell you about the famous M1 thumb. :eek:
These rifles don't use external clips, but do have internal "clip" that you use stripper (with ammo) to quickly reload.

Gary

A bunch were re-chambered for the NATO .308 round. My brother has a .30-06, but the dealer had several in .308 (this was back in the early '70s.) A magnificent rifle. :)

Turbodave,

Gary

Uhh no, the M1 Garand could actually be had in either 7.62 nato (the only round we were allowed to use at matches), or 30-06 (more commonly available).
Trust me, I know about the M1 thumb :) After over 3 years on the team and firing "countless" rounds through mine.

I currently own an ak-47, AR-15, and an M-1 Garand and a few other rifles and pistols.. My collection has downsized since my marriage, kids and my Turbo Regal habit:D

BUT...If I had to get rid of all of my guns except one..I would keep my Garand hands down. Its tried and true. It never jams and always puts a smile on my face when I shoot it. My gun is not a "garage queen" either. I shoot at least 2000 rounds out of her each year.

That gun is the reason we are not speaking German and Japanese in this country. Of course we all might have to learn Spanish soon but that is another topic...

God Bless America

I currently own an ak-47, AR-15, and an M-1 Garand and a few other rifles and pistols.. My collection has downsized since my marriage, kids and my Turbo Regal habit:D

BUT...If I had to get rid of all of my guns except one..I would keep my Garand hands down. Its tried and true. It never jams and always puts a smile on my face when I shoot it. My gun is not a "garage queen" either. I shoot at least 2000 rounds out of her each year.

That gun is the reason we are not speaking German and Japanese in this country. Of course we all might have to learn Spanish soon but that is another topic...

God Bless America

I understand about a shrinking gun collection. This one will make a nice addition....