You can type here any text you want

Any tips, tricks or advice?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87GNSteve

Just another pretty face....
Going to retorque the heads since a few heat cycles have been completed, doesnt look like fun.
Any advice?

You're right...not much fun...have to remove the headers to get to the bottom row...just set the torque wrench on max torque and hit each one...don't loosen them...

If you have a skinny enough socket you can do it with out removing the headers (Ive never had to pull them). Just get in there and see what you can do. Just make sure your on them good, had a buddy helping me and he rounded off one or two of them! :(

Use

a 6 point socket, extensions, short and LONG and you will definately need a swivel. I use 1/2 in drive. Best of luck.

The socket needed will depend on what he has...bolts...studs...I have 12 point stud nuts so can't use a 6 point socket...

Took me about 4 hours:frown:
I did the passenger side last I have a love:tongue: hate:mad: relationship with my heat and A/C

No but it was a PIA-- I used a 3/8 drive 5/8th's socket to fit in there and used an 3/8 to 1/2 adapter for the torque wrench.
I even had the copper exhaust gaskets that were getting in the way and had to use a hammer and bar to round them so the socket coule get on the nut.
use I think ARP or TTY bolts would have been easier because its a 9/16 size.
I use the ARP studs w/ six point nuts.
test drive Ok I do have a bad oil leak on PS valave cover prolly messed that up some how:(

Always something....

My best friend has been building engines for over 25 years here at a local machine shop. We just put my engine back in a few months ago. I brought this subject up to him after reading here on the forum. He says you dont need to retighten head bolts after install. He has built his share of 8-9 second motors thru the years and at least five 3.8 GN motors that have held up to alot of abuse.

Who is right? What factors determine a retorque? Just asking...not trying to stir the pot.

do head studs need to be retorqued and if they do after how many heat cycles.

My best friend has been building engines for over 25 years here at a local machine shop. We just put my engine back in a few months ago. I brought this subject up to him after reading here on the forum. He says you dont need to retighten head bolts after install. He has built his share of 8-9 second motors thru the years and at least five 3.8 GN motors that have held up to alot of abuse.

Who is right? What factors determine a retorque? Just asking...not trying to stir the pot.

Cometic head gaskets.

Back