You can type here any text you want

anybody built one of these

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ITSAV6

It's my Granny's car!
Anyone built an ABC box? Know how to tune it? The guy who has this one hit 135+ db w/one 12" and a 360w Punch amp!

Attachments

• abd sub.jpg
    abd sub.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 151
another view

external shot

Attachments

• abc sub2.jpg
    abc sub2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 135
I have built everything but that design, that is way wicked. Can you post any specs with a more detailed view of cabinet. I would like to experiment with a different design. Thanks.

That one ported chamber has a "transmission line" type of port. I am very curious to the type of sound that it produces.

Hey Ed, give this guy a buzz if you want to learn some more about the ABC enclosure. I know he has made a couple and liked them.

mrflamboyantt@cs.com Tell him Hurricane from CarSound forum sent ya, and tell him to check his PM's!! lol

Oh he also has a couple IDMAX's and just recently got a Adire Brahma and LOVES IT. Way more output than the the MAX.

The design is a dual chamber reflex, as soon as I saw it I dug out some of my old Speaker Builder magazines.

If you are really interested in this design, look up the first issue of 1992. That issue has a four page artical on the design, or look up the"Augspurger's System" on the internet,there might be something there to help you.

But basicly

1 A double-chamber reflex, with the first chamber having twice the cubic volume of the second one and with three ports of equal dimension is tuned to two frequencies that are about an octave apart,

2 At lower frequentcies of resonance the driver sees the system as if the partition didn't exist .

so to build one all you have to do is figure out how big the box can be,has to be same size or larger than the suitable vented enclosure for the driver you are using.

Then divide that volume into thirds, the volume with the driver takes two thirds, and the other volume one third.

Figure out the area of the vents to use so there will be low port noise.

Then caculate the length by using two times the vent area,the full enclosure volume,and the lower frequency of resonance.

If you are not familiar with port length caculations, Ill try to make this simple
2117 X d
L= ------------------- - 0.732 X d
F X V
b b

L is the length of the port (the answer you are looking for) in inches

d is the diameter in inches

F is frequency you are tuning for
b

V is the volume of the box you are tuning (in cubic feet)
b

hope this helps, it has been a long time since I did any of this

My G.N. takes all of my time now.

well the equation didn't turn out the way I wanted!

sorry hope you can decipher it any way.

Originally posted by atomic 6
If you are not familiar with port length caculations, Ill try to make this simple

Thanks for the effort :cool: . I have built quite a few cabinets since '88 and have built square ports. Here is a formula (complicated) to figure out port length and diameter for round and square ports.

ROUND OR SQUARE PORT CALCULATIONS

BTW, I e-mailed your buddy Bradley. I told him to check his PM box too :D .

link to box specs

dual chamber ported enclosure
Now for some info we can use!!! I posted on Parts Express forum and got this today.
Just tried out some Dayton woofers from Parts Express,very impressed. My bud has 2 Kicker 10's in a Cougar(my latest install)on rear ch of RF 400.4 and we swapped the box w/Dayton 10's(1.63cuft per woofer)and said WOW! They wont handle as much power but they go very low and sound "tighter". And for $18.95ea is unreal. I bought them to put in a couple of boxes I got sitting around to sell them quicker but I think I'll put 2 in my '84 5.slo commuter!
Hope this link helps,I think this might be the box for my stang!
Later,
Doug:D

upgrade to the Titanic MkII. :)

Those go very low, and are supposed to sound awesome (from what I've read on forums).

You know, I think I will play around with one of those sometime. I think my Lanzar DC15" with 725rms from my Zr360 would go rather loud. :)

Thanks Doug :) I am adding this to my favorites. As soon as I get done with my projects. I am going to experiment with that design and build one for my home theater.

They didn't call the enclosure an "ABC' box on the parts express forum?
So there must have been some info you could use.
I told you how to design one not how build one with one specific driver in mind.
Now replace all the ports(in the "ABC" box) with "tuned" passive radiators,and that enclosure is the ****.
Try an isobaric dual chamber reflex, this type enclosure is where the ports get really long and it is easier to use passive radiators,and it is very small.
Good luck anyway

Atomic 6:

Thanks

Thanks for info,didn't understand the way the designing of the box atomic6 until I found the page I linked to(a pic is worth a 1000 words)then your post clicked and I understood whay you were saying!!! Thanks for the port formulas Wizard! Real good info to have.:D

Back