You can type here any text you want

Anybody ever installed speakers....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gn85

You've gotta try this!
Anybody ever installed speakers in the side panel above the arm rests in the back???

I've been doing some searching and I can't find anybody who has put speakers there. It seems everyone puts their speakers in the stock locations...

I was just wondering what type of advantages this had? Does anybody have any pics?? Other then the interior panel, what other modifications need to be done?? Lastly, what size speaker did you try?

Thanks.

Speakerworks did a GN that way back in the early 90's. Build a panel and put a 12 on each side. The car is now owned by Richard Clark. He remove the 12's and made the car sound much better. So good that the car never lost an IASCA event before being retired. I've seen several other people put speakers there also (4x6, 5 1/4, 6, 6 1/2, and 8's). I never heard any that were really impressive.
The only reason I can think of to put a speaker in that location is the rear deck is dedicated to allowing the subwoofer(s) to play through it. To put a speaker in the rear arm rest location you have several considerations. For a midrange/tweeter you would only need to make the panel to hold the speaker setup. For a midbass or sub speaker setup you will need to build an enclosure. I can't remember where I have seen any pics, but I'm sure there are some out there since this would be the same setup for any G body.

OK, thanks for the reply. I was just wondering. I think I've seen it before, but couldn't find any pics online. I don't have a SOUND SYSTEM.... I don't know a whole lot about stereos and such, but I have a pair of 6x9s that I thought about putting in the car. I want to do as you say and let the sub pass thru the current speaker spaces on the rear deck. So, if I have a use for the 6x9s, then that'd be good. Was just wondering what the advantages would be, if any. Or if it's actually a bad idea.

Thanks again.

Back