You can type here any text you want

Anybody have any experience with the Translator Pro?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Squeelr

Banned
Hello all.

I just installed this Translator Pro unit on my 87 GN. Put all the data in that Mike over there at Full throttle told me to put in. Car blubbers and runs like crap at idle and at 2500 RPM no load. Haven't even drove the thing yet because it runs so rich.

Mike said I just need to tune down the whole fuel scale.

Since I've got 50# injectors in this, I left the 12 position chip in it that was for the injectors. The car ran beautifully with just the chip, big turbo and injectors. But needed much more fuel under load and big boost. Which is why I opted for the Translator pro in the 1st place. I've got the wide band kit to go with it as well.

And it doesn't seem like they give good support over at the Full Throttle website because I've left posts but there's never a response.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry your not getting any help. Seems no one wants to lend a hand. There is only like three people realy helping out these boards anymore. TurboBob, TurboDave and myself and its hard to read all posts.

First off what is you v out setting? That should be set for the type of chip you have and will make all the difference on how the car runs.

Do you not have the pro chip? Why would you stay with the 12 posision chip?

I'm willing to bet the car would run MUCH better with an Extender PRO chip. You need the PRO chip to take advantage of ALL that the pro offers.

Come to think of it, I have a 50# PRO chip you could try out to see if is any better.
What all do you have done to the car?

Hello all.

I just installed this Translator Pro unit on my 87 GN. Put all the data in that Mike over there at Full throttle told me to put in. Car blubbers and runs like crap at idle and at 2500 RPM no load. Haven't even drove the thing yet because it runs so rich.

Mike said I just need to tune down the whole fuel scale.

Since I've got 50# injectors in this, I left the 12 position chip in it that was for the injectors. The car ran beautifully with just the chip, big turbo and injectors. But needed much more fuel under load and big boost. Which is why I opted for the Translator pro in the 1st place. I've got the wide band kit to go with it as well.

And it doesn't seem like they give good support over at the Full Throttle website because I've left posts but there's never a response.

Any help would be appreciated.

Where did you post over there? under what user name?

Tell us something of your car, how it's equipped, etc.
Who did the Translator Pro install?
You have a 3 bar map sensor installed and hooked up, correct?
Did you move your IAT sensor to a point to measure MAT? Where did you put it?

Lotsa questions to ask!!

The cars got a larger turbo, I think a TO43 if I'm not mistaken. 50# disc style injectors. No part number on them, but I know the chip came with the injectors and ran fine with the fac. MAF. I just couldn't lay into the turbo much because it would go lean, hence me buying the MAF Pro.

I installed the system. I do computer controls and F.I. for a living. I'm a driveability tech and have worked with DFI, Motec and LS-1/LT-1 edit programs...but my focus is primarily in factory diagnostics. The 3 bar map is installed but I didn't relocate the air temp yet. I couldn't see the air temp making such a huge difference at idle and 2500 RPM no load in Park. I went over the Buick setup with Mike at Fullthrottle. Everything is entered in correctly for the initial set up. I'm supposing.

Of all the systems I've tuned, 'usually' I could get the car started and at least get it to run 1/2 way decently without having to revamp the whole fuel map. This thing just blubbers from idle to 2500 RPM no load (very rich). So at this point, you really don't have any boost to deal with.

I do have a laptop and will load the laptop comm program so I can hopefully get a fuel map out of it.

Does this system have the dancing square similar to DFI? Where you know where the car is in the fuel map while communicating live?

DCVING6...yeah. Thats what Mike said. But I couldn't identify the turbo nor the injectors. I just remember that when I bought the car, it came with a bunch of receipts. One was for 50# injectors and another was for the 12 step chip and turbo. There are other things done as well, but those wont affect tuning (i.e. adj regulator, big fuel pump, conv, big air to air intercooler).

Rick87GN...I'll look and see what the V-out setting is. I'll get the maker of the chip as well. I think it's the only well known 12 step chip that most people use on the GN's.

Thanks in advance for all your help! =))

I don't remember your post on the full throttle board.

But,

What is your F-Out mode set to?

On the sensor monitor screen, please check the following (both key on engine off, and idling)
MP
FO
TPS
MT
VE

Updating to version 5.03 (posted on the full throttle site, along with TPCU, an updating utility) is a good idea.

Are you getting any trouble codes in the ECM?

When you say "12 step" chip, do you mean a thumbwheel style chip?

Did you do the standard (wired-in) installation, or use the plug-in harness?

Bob

I think I have a picture of my old 50lb injectors at home on my laptop. I'll post it up to see if yours look similar.

I'll check the specs on the chip and see if it will work on your car.

If I'm correct in assuming that you're not using an extender chip of any sort then make sure your f-out is set to 11.

Hey fellas....thanks for all the help.

Turbo bob. Yes....it's the thumbwheel chip.
I looked at the full throttle site and couldn't find the update you were talking about. The 5.03 along with TPCU. Do you have a link?

I went over the settings with Mike and he said everything was ok. But I'll check it again tomorrow.

Should I use the laptop program to get these scan value parameter readings, or just use the hand held unit? The thing runs so rich, it won't even idle. Do I don't know about any idle readings, but I can give you KOEO and KOER (@ 2500 RM) stuff I'm sure.

The check engine light was on. I hooked up my Mastertech scanner and I forget the code. I'll get it again. I did the standard "wire in" deal. All the scan parameters looked correct except for one. And if I'm not mistaken (this was a month ago), I think it was air temp that seemed off. But then I was told based on the chip, the reading (temp) was set fixed for some reason. I'll have to go back and revise what I saw.

Thanks DCVING 6. I called RC injectors out here in L.A. and they couldn't decifer what kind of injector they are. They're black with one light blue stripe. I wish I could find the dang receipts for all the stuff he put on this car. A pic would be great. I'll do the same.

BlackBandit. Thanks. I'll check that as well. I'll post what it's set at.

Mine were black and grey.

hpim0384uf1.jpg

Man....you guys are the best!

Thanks DCVING6 =)) Those look like multec injectors. Mine look like your standard Bosch/motorsport look-a-likes. They're normal size bodies (not large like yours and not small like the LS1's use) painted black with a blue stripe on the top.

Somehow I get side tracked everyday so far this week. Tomorrow for sure I'll be doing the checking everyone has suggested so far.

Thanks again very much for all your help.

Back