Anyone e-file their tax return?

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Can't believe someone who is on the computer as much as me has never e-filed their tax return. Is it worth it to do it this way?

Done it the last few years! I will continue to do it that way and the IRS recommends it.

Dannyo

Wife filed ours. Worked well. Received our refund in about 14 days, direct deposit. :D

I've done it the past few years. Direct deposit, too. Works awesome. Refund almost instantly (as far as government processes go). I do it through TaxCut. They charge $10-20 bucks to do it (each, for state and federal). I got lotsa dough back this year, so it was worth the $ they charge to get it back quick.

Jim

I've done it the last 3 years...only way to go.

My Wife has a client who is employed by H&R block. She basically said: Any average tax payer who pays someone to do their taxes is an idiot....All they do at H&R Block is E-file your return and charge you a percentage. Do it your self and you save the extra cash.

So how does it work? I have done everything with Turbo Tax but have balked at the next step of sending it. So you don't have to sign anything and what about all the W-2's etc.?

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted
So how does it work? I have done everything with Turbo Tax but have balked at the next step of sending it. So you don't have to sign anything and what about all the W-2's etc.?

For the federal, you used to have to sign a special form and send it in with your paperwork - you don't have to do that anymore. Your "PIN" is the amount of your refund (or the amount you owed) last year. TurboTax should walk you through it.

Each state varies, but in NJ they sent us PINs in the mail in January.

Jim

I thought TeleFile was SO much less hastle then filing online, but that's only for the 1040-EZ (if you don't itemize). I paid H&R Block $35.00 to do mine online for fed and state and had both refunds direct deposited within a week. I did notice that I have to print something out, sign it and send it back (fed only), but I believe you only have to do that the first year. I didn't have a PIN for WI at all, must be different per state. It is about the best way you can do it though!

I've used TurboTax and H&R Block (online) I like H&R Block ALOT better.
Like stated earlier, your Federal "signature" (pin) is last years gross income (or return...can't remember which) For state (in Illinois) you get your pin from the state IRS site. It might differ from state to state.
After submitting they will say it is "pending". After approval they'll send you an e-mail saying it has been approved and submitted and to expect a deposit in 10 - 14 days. They DONOT inform you when the money has been deposited so, you have to keep track of that yourself.
If there is a problem, they e-mail that to you as well (within a day or 2) and point out where the problem is and allows you to correct it and resubmit (no extra charge)

I know it's a little scary because it is so easy...but it is that easy.

Originally posted by zam70
Like stated earlier, your Federal "signature" (pin) is last years gross income (or return...can't remember which)

Yes, it's last year's adjusted income, not your refund/owe. It's all coming back to me now......and it was only a month ago.

Jim