You can type here any text you want

anyone ever done this?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Haynesie

What I am going to do is build boxes for my 6x9s so that i can fit them into the rear deck area where the old speakers would have gone, does any one have any advice, suggestions as to how to do this, currently the person who owned it before me decided to putcher the area where the arm rests are for the passengers in the back...so im gonna have to buy thoes panels aswell, just wanted to see if anyone else has had luck with this idea, or and reason NOT to do this....

DON'T box it up it will sound like carp! 6 x 9's are designed for free air applications.

Ditto on what TURBOV6 said.
on top of that, there is no way you could fit boxes under the rear deck and keep the trunk tensioning rods.

hmmm....are their adapters that i can buy, and by trunk tensioning rods do you mean the ones that you can buy and put behind the seat, or the ones that hold in the original speakers?

Originally posted by Haynesie
hmmm....are their adapters that i can buy, and by trunk tensioning rods do you mean the ones that you can buy and put behind the seat, or the ones that hold in the original speakers?

Best Buy and Circuit City sell 6x9 adapters that allow you to run most any 6x9 speaker in the stock 4x10 location.

They come w/ hangers similar to the ones that hold up the stock 4x10's and a spacer plate that bolts to the mounting holes on the front of the 6x9's. You just hang them like you do the stockers.

adapters

those adapter plates are horrible, they never fit anyways. if you plan on running a sub woofer, i recomend just using the 4X10's for your mid and highs, and let the subwoofer do the rest. but without subwoofers, 6X9's and boxes are a good idea.

Re: adapters

Originally posted by Jarnutt
those adapter plates are horrible, they never fit anyways. if you plan on running a sub woofer, i recomend just using the 4X10's for your mid and highs, and let the subwoofer do the rest. but without subwoofers, 6X9's and boxes are a good idea.

They fit fine for me, I allways secure it with screws. How are you going to fit those 6x9 boxes under the dash? 4x10 are specialty speakers that nobody usually stocks them and there are much more choices of 6x9 out there.

every major manufactuer makes a 4X10 speaker, not even close to a specialty speaker, and the make them is as much as a 3 way, sounding just as good as a 6 1/2 or most 6X9's. they wouldnt make it if it was worthless. with the trunk rods going across the bottom side of the rear deck, its hard to make anything large fit without hitting. the only thing accomplished by putting a 6X9 in the rear with the standard size speakers in the front is throwing off the sound stage. on most of my customers cars they were happier with 4X10s and a sub to pick up the slack in the low end. but yes, the brackets do fit some times, depending on the size of the 6X9 magnet and basket.

I've got kenwood 4 ways with adaptors in my rear deck and they work perfect with the adaptors and sound fantastic..

uhh...ive only been able to find a few brands of 4x10s most of which have a low wattage rating...ive been using crutchfield, etronics.com circuitcity and even ebay, so i wouldt go as far as saying most major companies becuase between those sites, i have found like two different ones, all of which dont have a high wat rating.

The spacers worked fine for me.

I'd recommend saving the money you'd spend on spacers and 6x9's and invest in a really good set of front component speakers. Keep the bass in the rear, and your mids/highs up front.

yeah well see the whole problem is that their is no bass in the back, so how does that help? plus the fronts are already done nicely, mbquartz and all

Originally posted by Haynesie
yeah well see the whole problem is that their is no bass in the back, so how does that help? plus the fronts are already done nicely, mbquartz and all

Buy one 10 or 12 inch sub, put it in a sealed box, and power it w/ a 4-channel amp in the 200 watt range (50x4). Power the front speakers w/ the front 2 channels of the amp (set crossover to hi-pass). Power the sub w/ the rear 2 channels of the amp bridged(set crossover to low-pass).

There arent too many four channel amps on the market that are bridgable, so you may be better off getting a four, or two channel if you just want to power the fronts, for the interior speakers and a seperate 2 channel for the sub channel. unless you can hunt one down, thats probably your best bet, the average four channel doesnt really have the oomf to push a sub regardless, unless its one of low power handling, in a sealed box, slightly lower in Cu inches than manufacturer spec to accomodate the lower power rating. At that point youd be better off just getting yourself into two seperate amps like i said.

Back