Anyone going to Woodward Dream Cruise?

bill...where is this at? i swear i heard people from here talking about going to that cruise...i guess i could go since i am off friday...details???

if memory serves.....

Well.......the cruise is basically all 3(4) lanes going south and north along Woodward Ave. It's southern point is Royal Oak MI and it goes North until you feel like turning around. Sort of a giant slowly-moving parking lot.

I was there last year on a Friday night and it was wild. All lanes are packed full of 75% muscle/sports cars. You still get some everyday cars from the people who actually live there and need to get from point A to B but for the most part the road belongs to the cruise.

At 10pm the cops shut it down and block off the roads. You have to go elsewhere.

All the parking lots along the road are rented by various groups/clubs. Last year the Vipers had their own club...vettes...etc. I hung out at the F-body area with Jason D (webmaster) and met some cool people.

GM has a tent along Woodward and last year I was told GNX #1 was there. I never got to see it as it took several hours of 'coasting' just to do Woodward going south. GM was on the northbound side :-(

This year I will be starting much earlier so I can do both sides.

I saw a lot of TR's but as there are 3(4) lanes going each direction.....it is hard to actually get next to each other unless you start out together in a big TR mass :)

The sidewalks are packed with spectators cheering the cars. Many a time did I hear "wow...a GN....and wow...T-tops"

It is a blast.

Guys,

Don't try to give me a internet slap for asking this question but the Dream Cruise isn't until Mid-August right...Which "Friday" are you guys talking about cruising down woodward. Sorry I'm confused..:confused:

Todd

slap...slap...slap :)

Todd, the Friday of the week of Woodward. The 16th of August. The cruise is officially that Saturday (17th) but I like to cruise the day before.

You planning to attend? Would be cool to finally meet :)

Bill,

Geez did I really deserve three 3 back hand smacks?;)
Yes, I will definitely be able to cruise with you that Friday and hopefully we can round up a few other GNer's..I know of a few other local guys w/GN's though...This is gonna be my first time on the dream cruise...Last year she was I mean the GN was sick.:mad: Where too meet, times & etc?? Let me know

Todd

I think Royal Oak is the southern point for the cruise but I may be mistaken
That is where we parked last year with the F-bodies.

I thought this year I would start in Royal Oak and head north. At about the halfway point for time I would turn around and cruise back down.

Last year I stared I believe at Square Lake and Woodward and only made it to Royal Oak before the cops shut it down at 10. I missed seeing GNX #1 :-(

I will drop you an e-mail as the date draws nearer.

Guys-

a little more info on the dream cruise. The cruise is a 12 mile streach from 8 mile on the border of detroit to the "woodward loop" in pontiac michigan. ( our cars birthplace!) there should be 1.5 million people there this year . They start cruising monday night and by 7 pm it is bumper to buper fun till they shut it down at 10 pm. they keep woodward blocked off till 11 and it reopens again. if you want to put a whoopin' on some street stangs and other cars, check out pontiac for some fun. unlimited burnouts, and the cops let you race till third gear.

Brian

I replied to todd in the lounge too. I'm going to be there with about 5-8 other cars from west michigan. mostly F-bodies and then my GN.

If you want to see GNX#1 pictures I got to see it in St ignace for that cruise/show the end of june. GM had a pretty big tent there this year(nothing like woodward though i'd imagine) I'm definately interested in covering woodward avenue with an evil black cloak of turbo whistling mayhem:cool: :cool: :cool:

I'll be there friday night, roughly around 5-6 o'clock

my plate reads: TOBAD4U
later

Brad

Bill,

I opened a Topic in the Lounge on the Dream Cruise for Out-of-Towners and those that would be coming up for the Cruise...A few guys responded already so we may wanna start posting all the specifics for the Friday Cruise as it draws closer under that thread as I think it will get a little more exposure/response than this thread under the regional section.:cool:

Todd

Ok. That works for me. Whatever draws the largest crowd.

We will need to find a common place to meet up. If people are planning to show and meet around 5 it won't happen on the street. We need to find a parking lot or something.

I will be there a few hours earlier, prolly around 2 ish. I will just meet you all at a designated spot :).

Bill,

I know of a pretty good spot over on Woodward to meet up at but we'll have to get there early..There's a little shopping plaza at the corner of Coolidge Hwy & Woodward Ave not too far before 14 mile...I think there's a Kmart & a Credit Union in the Plaza...Tell me your thoughts on meeting up at this location..

Todd

Todd, that sounds ok but I have no idea where it is. I can find it on a map if I need to.

Question - if the people from out of town are not arriving until 5ish at the earliest....will someone just have to sit there and wait?

A lot of cruising time could end up being spent on waiting. I will hopefully be cruising as early as 2pm.

I would like to meet many of the board members so let's get an idea of who wants to meet and when.

Bill,

Well concerning the possible location that I suggested..Its not difficult at all to find....If you know how to get to woodward from I-696 just continue North on woodward until you pass Coolidge Hwy, once you pass the Hwy you'll have to make the MI left....It's a nice size plaza...Actually it's right at the corner of 13 mile & Woodward (It's a Kroger & Credit Union ONE inside the Strip Plaza)

Regarding arriving early and waiting, I don't think we'll have to wait before cruising...Hopefully everyone interested can arrive around 2ish or so and the show can begin. I'll post another reply in the lounge seeing if guys can make between 2 & 3...

Todd

todd, I can try to be there by 2-3 but I think everyone I was caravanning over with was leaving at that time which would put me at woodward between 5-6.

this is not definate I can let you know more specifically in about a week or so

YNOVATE,

If you can make between 2 & 3 that would be great but if not that's fine too, we'll just have to find you..Keep us posted..:cool:

Todd

What about meeting up after we cruise? Say 9ish Friday night? If we don't meet before we start cruising....we won't be cruising together. I saw a lot of TR's last year but you can never change your position and get to them.

I vote for finding a spot to hang afterwards and meeting in the night.

Of course I have no idea of a good spot where the cops will let us hang but perhaps Todd you have ideas?

Originally posted by Renthorin
What about meeting up after we cruise? Say 9ish Friday night? If we don't meet before we start cruising....we won't be cruising together. I saw a lot of TR's last year but you can never change your position and get to them.

I vote for finding a spot to hang afterwards and meeting in the night.

Of course I have no idea of a good spot where the cops will let us hang but perhaps Todd you have ideas?

Bill,

That's a pretty good idea, actually there are some pretty good spots to cruise around...Groesbeck Rd or Gratiot Ave (Where Bruce's Shop is located) is a good area to cruise in...Can find alot of food;) or perhaps we can meet up at his shop...Hmmm, I don't even know of his plans for the cruise, I'll ask him and get back.....

Todd

Soooo....do we have a meeting place/

And a potential headcount? I will need good directions or else I will end up in Canada :-(

Todd, did you get a hold of Bruce? If not where do you want to meet up?

ok, I finally got a final word. I'll won't be leaving untill 2-ish from Grand Rapids. I had to work friday and talked to my boss...he's letting me leave early:cool:

I plan on strolling down woodward probably around 6pm If the rest of you are already cruising...are we going to meet somewhere else??

let me know
-Brad-