Anyone in or near Temple, TX??

Darkstar72

So, the wife got offered a promotion that would involve us moving from the Chicago burbs down to Temple, TX. Obviously I'm going down with no job and a little nervous at the prospects of finding a good place to work for that pays decent money. Any places that locals or nearby would recommend to stay away from or places that are great to work for? I have been in the automotive field my entire life from small garages, aftermarket warranty claims adjuster, service advisor, operations manager for roadside assistance company, and a district service manager for GM. I don't mind getting out of the auto business, but that is where all my experience is and my education.

We also know nothing of the area and was hoping someone local to the area might be able to give some insight on areas to stay away from or others that are better than others when we start looking for a house. We do have 2 small kids (5 and 3) so I prefer a safe/quiet area that they can play around in with other kids.

We are both kind of anxious right now as we are leaving our family and friends behind going down there essentially blind. It's a good move for her career and I am hoping this is a good move for our family overall.

It is COUNTRY, compared to Chicago. Not that it is bad just not the big city. You might have to go into Waco for work and it will almost asuredly pay less than you are used to up north. But the cost of living is also significantly less.
I lived in Burlington, Wi for a time. It is way different in Texas. Also much hotter here. I would do it just to get out of Illinois, but that is me.
We are about ninety minutes north of there in the DFW area. There are some Buick guys down that way. I'll see if the one I know of in West, Tx will chime in.

It is COUNTRY, compared to Chicago. Not that it is bad just not the big city. You might have to go into Waco for work and it will almost asuredly pay less than you are used to up north. But the cost of living is also significantly less.
I lived in Burlington, Wi for a time. It is way different in Texas. Also much hotter here. I would do it just to get out of Illinois, but that is me.
We are about ninety minutes north of there in the DFW area. There are some Buick guys down that way. I'll see if the one I know of in West, Tx will chime in.

I appreciate that, but after much discussion the last few days we have decided to stay put for now as she has interviews for other job offers that still would get us out of Illinois, but not remove our kids 17 HRS away from their grandparents. We decided we did not want our kids growing up that far away from our folks.

If it was just me and her, no kids, we would be packing our shit up right now, but I couldn't do that to the kids or my parents.

I will say there are jobs upon jobs down here. We have drag racing pretty much year round. Also lots to do if you like lakes, water parks, six flags over Texas is pretty similar to six flags mid America. Plenty of car shows and the like. I like the DFW and if we move again it won't be too far out of town and probably to a lake not too far out.

I will say there are jobs upon jobs down here. We have drag racing pretty much year round. Also lots to do if you like lakes, water parks, six flags over Texas is pretty similar to six flags mid America. Plenty of car shows and the like. I like the DFW and if we move again it won't be too far out of town and probably to a lake not too far out.
In Texas, we also like "no state income tax" and the second amendment. Lol

If things change there are a few of us in the Austin and surrounding area. At some point I'd love to get us all together for a meet and greet.

Grew up there. Harker heights is booming and has nice houses and shopping. Nolanville is peaceful and has some nice houses with the country feel. Temple is right off I35 and you should be prepared to always have construction on the highway. There are some nice housing areas off the loop on the SE side of temple as well.