You can type here any text you want

anyone know how to bleed these brakes?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Eric Stauch

Nasty87
i had to add some brake fluid to my 87 gn and i saw on the cap it said push the brake peddle 10 with key off so i did so and i have a soft peddle so im guessing i need to bleed them. but since there is a certain way to put fluid in is there a certain way to bleed them? do you do it with the key on or off? or is it jus like bleeding a regular car?

Eric,

There are some special techniques I have developed just for this purpose. I'm glad you have asked before you dove in. The PowerMaster is an animal all it's own. See my sig for a link to the procedure. Feel free to ask questions. After a few minutes today, I will be back on line Monday.

Z

You need to search Powermaster. This is a special system with an electric motor that is different from other brake systems.

First of all why do u need to add brake fluid? On this system, 1 side of the brake reservoir wll be almost full while the other side is only about 1/4 full. This is normal bc near the reservoir there is a round black nitrogen ball that is called the accumulator brake ball. This holds brake fluid for emergencies.

Before checking the brake reservoir, you should have the car off and pump the brake pedal about 10-12 times or until the pedal becomes hard. Then u can check the reservoir and both sides should be full. The brake fluid should be clear NOT brown or frothy looking. If the fluid is frothy, then there is air in the system and u have to bleed- but the procedure is special- Check the name Zeus on this thread ---he has a great procedure on bleeding the system.

Is your brake light on?

Frank

One important thing to remember is to depress that plunger on the front of the propertioning valve on the d/s frame rail where all the brake lines meet before bleeding any wheel cylinders or calipers...

One important thing to remember is to depress that plunger on the front of the propertioning valve on the d/s frame rail where all the brake lines meet before bleeding any wheel cylinders or calipers...

You don't have to do this if you vacuum bleed.

I've only bleed them by having someone pump the pedal. I might try vacuum bleeding next time. Seems like it might be easier.

For wheel bleeding on a PowerMaster, you can't get any better that I have found.
I'll never pump bleed again.

My car has been converted to vacuum already, does the vacuum method work just the same?

Yes, you can bleed at the wheels using a vacuum pump on vacuum brakes.
I have done it many times (on other cars).

Jeff Moore, I replied to another thread on here and asked you a question regarding the Master Cylinder rebuild kit compared to what you thought about buying a newly rebuilt unit? Anyhow I changed the Pres. Switch and bled the system but still have hard brake feel with the brake light coming on. When I hit the brakes they don't stop the car until 1-3 seconds later, very Dicey at times!

Eric,

There are some special techniques I have developed just for this purpose. I'm glad you have asked before you dove in. The PowerMaster is an animal all it's own. See my sig for a link to the procedure. Feel free to ask questions. After a few minutes today, I will be back on line Monday.

Z

Ok, Zeus's powermaster bleed procedure link is broken. I got it. :)

Last edited:
Back