You can type here any text you want

Anyone Put in the Comp Cams 980's?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kosonen04

JustA6
Hey everyone just wondering if any one has put in the Comp Cams 980's i have a 85 GN with stock internells so stock cam lifter ect. I was told that the comp cams 980's were good springs to install because when im racing i lose most of my power in the top of 3rd gear? any one put them in and did thay make a diff. did you have more top end. Well let me know so i can get them if they are worth geting. Thanks
Brian

kosonen04 said:
Hey everyone just wondering if any one has put in the Comp Cams 980's i have a 85 GN with stock internells so stock cam lifter ect. I was told that the comp cams 980's were good springs to install because when im racing i lose most of my power in the top of 3rd gear? any one put them in and did thay make a diff. did you have more top end. Well let me know so i can get them if they are worth geting. Thanks
Brian
valve springs would be noticible in top end of all four gears especially firts since it puts the most strain on motor you said it does this in third well that sounds like timing or tune what are your o2's and knock on your scanmaster and what kind of chip and fuel are you running? could be pulling timing.

Top of 3rd is where the most load is and where weak springs will show thier face.

That makes sence, Also if you could tell me come things
1.have you put these springs in?
2. how hard is it, what all do you have to take off remove what speacel tools do i need. Also what is the BEST chip for a 85 GN? This poston chip seems like it lowered my Rev lim. to about 4500 i dont knwo why? IF you could answer this it would be alot of help
Thanks

I do not have a scanmaster i cant find one for a 85 also i dont knwo my 02 stats, or knock im running 91 fuel. but im running about 15-16 PSI of boost, Would i notice valves if i put them in? also how hard would you say thay are to install what all do i need and what do i need to remove. Hope you can help me out. Also im running that Poston i guess its a red armstrong chip 91 is the chip. Im looking into Caspers Ultrachip is that a good chip?>

you need to get rid of that chip and goto www.turbotweak.com there you will get the best of both world better idle and performance i had a poston chip and it idled like crap and didnt pull at top end because it would knock and pull timing also you should run a turbo regal car without a scan tool. i just lokked and noticed its a n 85 i dont know if he does these years.

Alright, do you mean i shouldent run a turbo car with out a scantool? were would i get one why is it so important? Also i was just wondering what all i need to do to replace the valve springs i did ordered them i was kinda thinking that 89# was a little soft but everyone said that would work the best. Well if you can tell me what all i need to pull of and do to replace them springs that would help me alot Thanks

i dont know if they have a scan tool for an 85 do you have a knock sensor gauge? also kirbins has a tool for replacing springs i dont think its that hard you put each cylinder on top dead center and fill your cylinder with compressed air and remove keepers and lift off retainer and spring then reverse procedure

Yea i found that one thats pretty cool but really what all am i going to get with that? how come there are many people out there that tune there cars with out this? Thanks

I want to change the valve springs in my car as well, and I was going to replace the springs with the same ones I have, which are the originals. I was just wondering if I am better off replacing them with the 980 #89 comp cam valve springs . What is the advantage with these springs compared to the stock ones. I love the stock springs because they don't make any noise (no clacking), will the 980 #89 comp cam valve springs be as quiet.

Thanks for any help I can get.
Marco

86 Grand National t-top (59900km)
stock long block,stock suspension, red stripe convertor, te44, smc alk injection, 24lbs boost, 94 octane, hooker cat back with dyno max ultra flow muffers, tomco 30lbs injectors, dynotech stage 4 street chip, thdp, mease 24 row IC, Ron Custom max boost brake module, MT drag radials (275/50/15) 3800lbs race weight with driver.
BEST E/T
60FT=1.52
1/8= 7.38
I/4= 11.74
MPH=113
BESTmph=114

Back