You can type here any text you want

anyone running qa1 frt/coil over set-up

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BLACKHAWK

is anyone running the qa1 coil over system? if so,how is it when street driven?how is it when racing?any feedback is helpful.how was the install

I've got QA-1 single adjustable coil overs on the front with tubular control arms (upper & lower) and QA-1 single adjustable coil overs in the rear.
Went 550# Viking Springs in the front. (Went with Viking springs cause they are claimed to have less spring sag vs QA-1's springs.
Glad I went the the 550# springs.....rides not too harsh and am happy with how the car feels on the road.

This is a street driver so can't comment about the track. However, I don't think my set up would be very good for serious 1/4 mile times......believe you would want somewhere around 350# to 400# springs for serious runs down the 1/4 mile.

LMK if you want some QA-1 350# springs....think I still have a set stashed away that I'd let go for cheap.

I've got QA-1 single adjustable coil overs on the front with tubular control arms (upper & lower) and QA-1 single adjustable coil overs in the rear.
Went 550# Viking Springs in the front. (Went with Viking springs cause they are claimed to have less spring sag vs QA-1's springs.
Glad I went the the 550# springs.....rides not too harsh and am happy with how the car feels on the road.

This is a street driver so can't comment about the track. However, I don't think my set up would be very good for serious 1/4 mile times......believe you would want somewhere around 350# to 400# springs for serious runs down the 1/4 mile.

LMK if you want some QA-1 350# springs....think I still have a set stashed away that I'd let go for cheap.
What are you asking for them

Let me take a look in the garage to see if I can find them first.
I'll PM ya tomorrow.
Send me a PM with your address and I'll check on shipping charges.

dave

Are you talking about the "hybrid" coilovers that sit in the factory upper spring pockets? Unless your car is on a serious diet the 350lb springs will be too soft. For stock or slightly lighter than stock go with 450lb viking springs. I couldnt get it to sit any higher than an inch lower than stock and the coils actually contacted each other on bumps with the preload wound up that tight. The 450s were perfect, stock like ride with adjustable ride height

here's a pic of my GN with 300# springs in the front .. with a 28" slick and 26" tire in the front the front tire is tucked slightly under the fender. the distance from the ground to the fender might've 25.5 or 25". my car weighs 3450# with me in it and 57% of that is on the nose. my car is set up for the track though, and those springs were spec'd for my car. It's worth noting that with these super light springs, the perch on my shocks is dialed damn near all the way up so I have maybe 1/2" before I'm maxed out. I'm happy with this ride height so this spring rate was perfect for me, they're as soft as possible to help transfer weight on the launch but not too soft to compromise ride height. If I wanted more adjustability and would be changing tires often for street duty/track duty then like 1kwiksix said a 350-400# spring would be ideal. but what spring you get depends on how much your car weighs, with you in it. not sure if this would cause a difference in ride height but my "coil over" set up is with a beehive spring, so the bottom end is 2.5" and sits on the perch and the top end is wider and is on the factory mount

in the rear I have a 150# spring. probably too stiff, I've got Wolfe's adjustable perches and they're dialed all the way down. the car sits around 29" to the fender on this tire/wheel combo. but I've got it in and haven't gotten the chance to take it to the track and see what I can lay down, so I'll stick with it and see.

IMG_7945.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Are yours true coil overs or the hybrid ones? We're talking apples and oranges either way, i was looking to get back to stock height to clear 16" gta wheels after installing tubular arms (i lost an inch of ride height when i swapped from stock to spohn tubular arms) so i went with the viking double adjustable hybrids initially with 350lb springs. Figured while i was in there i could maybe pick up some preformance at the track. With the 350 springs wound all the way up (and coil binding on bumps) the upper control arm was literally resting on the downpipe. Mine is now set at 27" with the 450 springs which is where it sat with stock springs and control arms and my preload nuts are a little over a third of the way up. For a more race setup clearing skinnys you could get away with the lighter springs. my car weighs 3601 with me, a laptop and a helmet in it, the 350 just wasnt enough spring to hold the car up. Viking didnt offer a 400, i went with 450s and i couldnt be happier. I cant wait to get to the track to play with them and see if i can whittle down my 60'

Last edited:
Are yours true coil overs or the hybrid ones? We're talking apples and oranges either way, i was looking to get back to stock height to clear 16" gta wheels after installing tubular arms (i lost an inch of ride height when i swapped from stock to spohn tubular arms) so i went with the viking double adjustable hybrids initially with 350lb springs. Figured while i was in there i could maybe pick up some preformance at the track. Mine is set at 27" which is where it sat with stock springs and control arms and my preload nuts are a little over a third of the way up. For a more race setup clearing skinnys you could get away with the lighter springs. my car weighs 3601 with me in it, the 350 just wasnt enough spring to hold the car up. Viking didnt offer a 400, i went with 450s and i couldnt be happier. I cant wait to get to the track to play with them and see if i can whittle down my 60'

I have the hybrid set up, the spring sits on the adjustable perch on the shock itself and in the factory location up top. for future reference you could get springs in all kinds of rates from other manufacturers, like afco hypercoil and landrum. all are great companies to deal with. I'm not sure but I think a 205/65/15 tire on a factory wheel will rub slightly on my wheel well, but I'm not too concerned about it. but yeah if I were choosing a spring rate for a stock or close to stock ride height you definitely want to go stiff. but these 300# springs I have, since they're dialed almost all the way up and at the perfect ride height that's an indicator to me that they're holding the most potential energy possible, for my set up, which is exactly what I was shooting for. Madman race cars out in Cleveland, TX spec'd the rate for me and I highly recommend him to anyone looking to set up g body for the track

here's a pic of my GN with 300# springs in the front .. with a 28" slick and 26" tire in the front the front tire is tucked slightly under the fender. the distance from the ground to the fender might've 25.5 or 25". my car weighs 3450# with me in it and 57% of that is on the nose. my car is set up for the track though, and those springs were spec'd for my car. It's worth noting that with these super light springs, the perch on my shocks is dialed damn near all the way up so I have maybe 1/2" before I'm maxed out. I'm happy with this ride height so this spring rate was perfect for me, they're as soft as possible to help transfer weight on the launch but not too soft to compromise ride height. If I wanted more adjustability and would be changing tires often for street duty/track duty then like 1kwiksix said a 350-400# spring would be ideal. but what spring you get depends on how much your car weighs, with you in it. not sure if this would cause a difference in ride height but my "coil over" set up is with a beehive spring, so the bottom end is 2.5" and sits on the perch and the top end is wider and is on the factory mount

in the rear I have a 150# spring. probably too stiff, I've got Wolfe's adjustable perches and they're dialed all the way down. the car sits around 29" to the fender on this tire/wheel combo. but I've got it in and haven't gotten the chance to take it to the track and see what I can lay down, so I'll stick with it and see.

View attachment 308580

That's the look I'm going for I have to still set my ride height in the back I'm running 275/60r15 and they have been rubbing but the stock shocks where way over do so hopefully this will cure the problem

That's the look I'm going for I have to still set my ride height in the back I'm running 275/60r15 and they have been rubbing but the stock shocks where way over do so hopefully this will cure the problem

what are your goals with the car? are you building it for the track or street. that'll determine what range your spring rate should be

what are your goals with the car? are you building it for the track or street. that'll determine what range your spring rate should be

Track but I would still want to be able to drive it on the street to shows or just to cruise

Track but I would still want to be able to drive it on the street to shows or just to cruise

cool so you're in the same boat I am, with 300# springs on the front of my car I don't feel like I'm on a boat or anything when driving on the street if that makes sense. I still have a solid smooth ride. I'd go with the lightest spring possible and a high quality set of double adjustable shocks. qa1s valving is notorious for being inconsistent, do some research on here and over at yellowbullet.com on their stuff. typically speaking qa1<strange<afco. I doubt you'd need anything better than an afco Shock but better than that are companies like santhuff, but are overkill for street cars IMO. you'd probably be best with a spring set in the 300-400 range. the "hybrid" coil over conversion I have and what's been mentioned here is way cheaper than a true coil over conversion, so I'd look into that. call TRZ and they'll be able to walk you through how it's set up, or madman at madman race cars can also. they're all great people to deal with

cool so you're in the same boat I am, with 300# springs on the front of my car I don't feel like I'm on a boat or anything when driving on the street if that makes sense. I still have a solid smooth ride. I'd go with the lightest spring possible and a high quality set of double adjustable shocks. qa1s valving is notorious for being inconsistent, do some research on here and over at yellowbullet.com on their stuff. typically speaking qa1<strange<afco. I doubt you'd need anything better than an afco Shock but better than that are companies like santhuff, but are overkill for street cars IMO. you'd probably be best with a spring set in the 300-400 range. the "hybrid" coil over conversion I have and what's been mentioned here is way cheaper than a true coil over conversion, so I'd look into that. call TRZ and they'll be able to walk you through how it's set up, or madman at madman race cars can also. they're all great people to deal with

I have already installed the hybrid set up in the front with 300 pound Springs and 150 pound springs in the rear I went with afco and I all so did Umi rear control arm set up the coil overs came with the car when I bought it I just have to raise the rear it's way to low

Back