You can type here any text you want

anyone tried ebay lowering springs? F:porgressive R:160

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Not seeing and specs on the springs other than they drop the car 1". From the pics it shows progressive on the rear not the front.

I messaged them and this was there answer:
"Front Progressive
Rear 160

It is hard to say if they are soft and stiff considering everyone has their own opinion of what is either or"

Progressives give handling issues since it's not a straight rated spring. You might like it going straight but the more it's compressed the harder they get. The progressives that Kirbans sells can cause wheel hop issues on a launch and on the fronts I can just see it causing weight transfer issues.

What some of the circle track guys use is a double spring set up to let the chasis roll faster into a curve but it consists of 1 soft spring and 1 hard one to keep the chasis at a static height once the soft spring colapses. Not a good set up for the street though.

hmm so what are most guys running when looking for a better street performing occasional strip car no looking to break records with a 1-2 inch drop? Thinking of going with the bilstein ak shocks. cut moogs? eibachs? summits?

First thing you need to realize is the chasis is 25+ years old now and you're most likely still riding around on the original springs. I'd bet that they're worn out by now unless they've been replaced. A 1" drop means it's 1" lower than the factory height and putting in nes springs may actually raise the car up some. Stiffer springs will help the handling but to still a spring will hurt you on a drag strip. What I brought up about "roll over" on a circle track car kinda applies here for the rear of the car on ours. The springs have to be heavy enough to hold the car up but soft enough to allow for good weight transfer on launch.

You can get MOOG springs that are 1" or so lower and will help handling as well as not kill you at the track. It all depends on your goals.

i have to confirm with the old owner, but i think my fronts are stock and my rears have been replaced. shocks are cheap autozone replacements , im wondering if most of the sloppy ride is coming from that. so what would you recommend for better handling , but for a car that will see the track maybe 4-5 times a year? right now the car feels like a big boat

First you need to check the ride height. It's measured at the rocker pannels behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels. It should be between 9 & 1/8" and 10 & 5/8" and the front and rear measurements should be the same.

As far as the springs go the stock front are MOOG 5606's and rear are MOOG 5379's. You can replace the font ones with MOOG 5608 (1" lower than stock and a slight increase in spring weght) 5658 (1" lower and a bit heavier) or 5660 (much heavier than stock and 1" lower). For the rears you can go with MOOG 6377 (1" lower and a slightly heavier spring) or 5413 (1" lower and more weight). Personal prefference is the 5658 and the 6377 but the rear ones won't look exactly like the once you pull out of it. Get a good set of adjustable shocks so you can adjust the ride for you.

Back