You can type here any text you want

Anyone wanna give suggestions on tuning?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BlackBeauty

Hey folks, I'm trying to tune, it's tougher than everyone makes it sound. I went to the track and believe my car was set up for high 12's (I will list mods below), but all I could get was a 13.8@100 and 13.9@100. That was with a power-brake launch but no boost. I then thought, "Well people launch with 15psi, so I'll try 5psi on my 275/60/15 BFG DR's" and that was a disaster, just spun half way down the track till I let off.
My 60's were 2.1 and 2.2, but even though my launch wasn't good, shouldn't I be trapping higher with these mods (properly tuned)?
adj. fuel pressure regulator (45psi line off)
307 fuel pump & hot-wire kit
K&N cone filter
alcohol injection (turn on ~13psi, pump speed was 7)
Hooker exhaust
Thrasher 92 chip

boost gauge
knock gauge
ScanMaster 2.1
DeQuick's radiator re-core
adj. wastegate rod (23psi)
torque strap

I didn't have an airbag at the time, but I got one since then (along with AC Delco R43TS spark plugs) and got worse results at the track. If anyone has a similar set-up, let me know what you have your adjustables set at. Thanks.

POOR PERF??

Did the SM2 show any knok?
What did the O2's look like during the run?
How much PSI in the tires?
Ft swaybar off or disconnected?
Is that 23psi w/ a stock turbo?
What quality of track prep were you running on?
What gas were you running?
Alky is designed to be used w/ a race chip, no-led premium and boost about where you have it now.
If you have a race chip, put it in, turn the alky on point down to 8-10psi, boost back to 18 and then sneak up on the tune. Make 1 change at a time, keeping the burnout and launch as close to consistent as possible.
Turn the boost up 2 psi and try it. No knok? go 2 more. A little knok? add some pump speed to the alky. No knok? turn the boost up again.Etc, etc, etc.
Given the traction limits of the BFG tires, you should see the majority of improvement in MPH. when the tune is right, then add the ET Streets and watch the Et go down. Short times in the 1.6's will come when all's tuned right and the tires are the right ones for the HP
FWIW,
My stocker, 215 T/A's and a no boost launch runs 13.5@101, w/16#. I would expect to see a few MPH better than that, given the mods.
You don't mention engine condition. Is this a fresh engine or a hi miler? When were the valve springs changed?? Leakdown tests?, compression tested?

HTH,

Re: POOR PERF??

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
Did the SM2 show any knok?
What did the O2's look like during the run?
How much PSI in the tires?
Ft swaybar off or disconnected?
Is that 23psi w/ a stock turbo?
What quality of track prep were you running on?
What gas were you running?
Alky is designed to be used w/ a race chip, no-led premium and boost about where you have it now.
If you have a race chip, put it in, turn the alky on point down to 8-10psi, boost back to 18 and then sneak up on the tune. Make 1 change at a time, keeping the burnout and launch as close to consistent as possible.
Turn the boost up 2 psi and try it. No knok? go 2 more. A little knok? add some pump speed to the alky. No knok? turn the boost up again.Etc, etc, etc.
Given the traction limits of the BFG tires, you should see the majority of improvement in MPH. when the tune is right, then add the ET Streets and watch the Et go down. Short times in the 1.6's will come when all's tuned right and the tires are the right ones for the HP
FWIW,
My stocker, 215 T/A's and a no boost launch runs 13.5@101, w/16#. I would expect to see a few MPH better than that, given the mods.
You don't mention engine condition. Is this a fresh engine or a hi miler? When were the valve springs changed?? Leakdown tests?, compression tested?

HTH,

Answer all these questions, and go sit down and start your car, leave it in park and check: Tps and Iac, along with your Blm's. Tps-should be around .42 @ idle, Iac should between 20-30 in park, and maybe a little bit higher in drive idealing. Of line fuel pressure sounds rich to me also, what are your o2's at the top of third, or even on the low end of things when you launch?? Being rich will knock down your mph big time.

Shoebox

Sorry about earlier, I was in a hurry before going to work... stock turbo/ic/injectors/all that stuff

o2's are in the 790-820 range, there was a little knock every once in a while on my way down the track, with less than 1KR each time. 93 octane, no race chip. I did however forget to lower tire pressure, I realized that later on, since it was at 30psi. Next time to the track I lowered the pressure to 18psi in the rear tires, but I didn't do good.
A couple days ago I decided to back off and start over again, so I lowered boost and alky stuff, then slowly worked my way up. O2's seem to get a little weird with alky. The reason I'm doing 45psi line off FP is because that's the minimum FP for the Thrasher. Maybe I can turn it down since I have the alky comin' in as additional fuel?
My IAC and TPS are fine. Thanks guys.

How much boost?

If you were running 15 lbs of boost then that is about normal. No reason for alky at that point. If you were running 21lbs of boost, then that is another story. I was running a MM108 chip, 21-22 lbs of boost on 93 octane and alky when I had all the stock stuff. I didn't like the way the car pulled with 21lbs of boost on 93/alky and a 93 chip. It was a high 12 second car at around 105 with that setup.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
How much boost?
Set at ~23psi. I know that 100mph is close to stock trap speed. So either my tuning is off, or I have a problem with my motor. The original tranny feels strong.

Hum? Yes, you should be much faster.

Do you have newer valve springs in it? What about your cat converter, is it new or gutted?

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
Do you have newer valve springs in it? What about your cat converter, is it new or gutted?
As for the valve springs, I don't know. The previous owner had recently had the motor open and many little things in there (timing chain?, freeze plugs, all that stuff), not sure if he got the valve springs covered. What would be a symptom if they were getting weak? Cat is gutted, followed by the Hooker exhaust. I think it might be motor prob.s, although it was supposedly rebuilt a couple years ago. There is a noise coming from in the motor, I can't figure out where. I need to borrow a compression tester, that might help.

The symptoms of weak valve springs:

1. breaks up at higher rpm - popping
2. falls on its face at higher rpms - just doesn't pull well from 4500 - 5200 rpm.

try some slicks 5-7 gallons of 110 and a thrasher 108 chip,I have been getting 13 flat at 105 on a pretty much stock car with this setup.Only thing holding me back is stock exhaust,no line lock for the burnout and stock(weak)rear brakes,I can't hold boost at the line.Also I believe my valve springs are weak.Been getting 1.7 60ft times on 26x8 mt drags.My 275/60/15 bfg's just burn all the way down

Back