You can type here any text you want

AOD in a Buick???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

broke1

Banned
I just ordered a AOD with brake and 3200-3400 stall,from CK, for my car(LT 72 .63 exh, champion irons, 218-212 roller,atr headers and dp,83 lb inj,ME-R,etc,full weight GN with t tops).Does anyone have this tranny in their Buick and if so what are your impressions??? This is going to be a street racer and I would like to maintain some streetability with maybe 10 times to the track a year.Any feedback??? Thanks

I've been trying to learn more about this Ford Trans for my car also. Can you explain some of the features and what kind of power it will handle compared to say a 400. Also, what's the price difference between building a AOD vs the 400. I asume the AOD is pretty costly?

Chris at CK could of sold me a 200r4 w/convertor (or 400)and made MORE $$$$ but he recommended the aod since I really want to keep OD since I want to be able to drive for long distances,just in case. Alot of Mustang racers run well into the 9's with the aod so we'll see about the Buick.

I know its sacralidge to put Ford parts on a TR but what about blue tops and the Raptor MAF???

Do a search on aod or just call CK to find out more about the aod.Costly...Yes but what on my car isnt.:eek:

So back to the original ???,does anyone run this tranny????

no one here has purchased an aod for a gn but many of the locals here use them and drive all over with them,and then go to the track and drive home.we have 8 second renegade cars running our aod in mustangs so there is no question about reliability.3400 lb cars in the 8s .go on my site,they are there.a 2004r at this level is in serious trouble regardless if it is mine or anyone elses imo.the ratio is much better for those who want to winn at the dragstrip .more efficient and able to handle turbocharged v8s with n20.we pioneered the 40 element sprag intermediate drum and the use of this trans a long time ago.its funny everyone said the 2004r was junk until intelligence outsmarted gms poor designs.also features an sfi bellhousing and bolts in w/out adapter plates or spacers.this is an easy install with the stock crossmember locations,trans lines,shifter and linkage,etc.if you dont use a transbrake,we have a tv cable that bolts right to the original throttle body brackets and adjusts as easy as the stocker.if you are skeptical thats cool but we dont create or promote things that dont make sense here.and btw if that was a swipe at me clay so be it.and fyi clay our drum sales have reached the 400 mark.not bad for a copy.huh?hey broke,i know you will be happy with your new transmission and pro torque convertor ,i am also pleased to see that you understand the benefits of this unique design that makes the 2004r the second choice at high horsepower levels if you want overdrive.and at 3200 dollars with a convertor the aod is money well spent

Cool Chris!Somebody using one of these.
I take it L/U is available?
Can it function using the stock computer?
How about the gear indicator switches for the stock computer?

I've read other hints on the board that you were offering this option to some guys Chris. I was just yanking your chain. I'm sure, with your reputation, its gotta be a good option.:D :D :D

Ford trannys in our buicks.:( :( :( I guess supercharged cobra motors will be next. :D :D :D

there is a great deal of reliability gained with the aod and also the fact that the gear ratios are much better.also can be built with a 2.84 first gear for those applications where additional starting line ratio is needed .no more burnt bands as there is a 5 disk multiple clutch pack to initiate 2nd gear.this clutch pack has more capacity than the th 400 even with 2 extra frictions.there are pressure taps for the ecm and hydraulic lockup instead of a solenoid operated system.non lockup convertors are 93 percent efficient at this stage of development .i feel this to be one of fords smartest designs and the use of one ring gear two sun gears and one carrier does the work of 3 sun gears ,3 ring gears and 3 carriers as in a 2004r.who out there is running consistently in the 9s with a 2004r except for the guys who own tranny shops.lets here from you all.

Chris I agree with you totally that the aod is alot stonger than a 200r4 on paper.:)

You should have said"who here runs consistent 9s with a 200r4 besides tranny shop owners and lottery winners:eek:

Ill post back here when my car is up and running for the naysayers.... My $$$$ is on CK's aod....Jerky's:D

Hell...

I am very interested to see what comes of this. Cool deal I think. I am NEVER going to attempt one, but I sure as hell am as anxious as the next guys to see it work and work well.
Never enough valuable options my friends........... The minute anyone quits innovating , we are all doomed. :rolleyes:

Cool deal
Bruce
WE4

Thanks Bruce,I hope it works well too...

Bruce what are your impressions on the AOD???Strenghts??? Weakness's??? Im sure alot of us would love to know 2 tranny guys opinions. Im sure that your opinion might differ from Chris's but the aod has been proven in 8 and 9 sec Stangs already... and im not trying to start a pissing match between you guys,I just want to know what you think.Thanks

Originally posted by broke1
Thanks Bruce,I hope it works well too...

Im sure that your opinion might differ from Chris's but the aod has been proven in 8 and 9 sec Stangs already... Thanks

I think you answered your own question with the statement above.
Actions speak volumes over words and the proof is right there in front of you. So my take is, it HAS been proven, run with it.

Bruce
WE4

well ,we now have one going to california.i am sure both gentlemen will have plenty to say when the transmissions are making hot oil behind their engines.car number 2 is an 850 horsepower vehicle.when i first entered the arena of the internet with my products last year i came on strong and tried to stress the point that we were not promoting others ideas or technologies but something new .i gave away free products on the net and especially here to be scrutinized.some said i was foolish and alot of other things that are in past now .they were wanting to see me fall off the bike.well here we are a year later.once again i am in the focus of the buick world as they await the outcome of our hybrid transmission/transfusion /transplant.both units will be slung in the rolling testbed prior to shipping to insure quality.there are many out there who are waiting for me to hit a brick wall with this because of their brand loyalties but just like the last time this is not going to be the time either.i am grateful to those who trust in our products and support them.i hope this will open up a new and interesting frontier in the world of buick performance and racing transmissions.thanks for your support,christos kokkonis owner of ckperformance

Sounds like a great setup.I was thinking about a 400 until I saw this.I have known about the aod strength level for awhile but nobody made a swap kit I thought.I think this will be a great trend down the road for high HP buicks.Hats off to you Chris for being an innovator.Looks like the way I will be going.

Re: AOD going to Calif

Originally posted by turbolou
I am putting my faith in CK transmissions. He was recommended to me by Len of perf. trans in Vegas. Len I appreciate the time you & Chris have spent with me & the refferal. its just a shame that I have to go outside of Calif. for some respect. I'm eagerly looking forward to trying the AOD in this stage II project that I'm involved with. This car had a built 200R4 that lasted about 10 min. on the street behind that engine. I quess 700 ft. pds. of torque were a bit much for it.

You cant go wrong with Chris, That guys the father of invention when it comes to any tranny in my book, My new 400 stuff will be coming from him
Otto

Chris, now you can get some sleep dude. Sounds like a new era on the horizon. Now all I need is to get you to build one to handle my 92 POS aode. lol. I was wondering though who couldn't get a 200 4R to handle 700 ft pounds torque? We know of many living in that area and above with no problems. Then again, isn't racing beating them until they break anyway? And no respect in California? What's that all about?

Mark

Chris, now you can get some sleep dude. Sounds like a new era on the horizon. Now all I need is to get you to build one to handle my 92 POS aode. lol. I was wondering though who couldn't get a 200 4R to handle 700 ft pounds torque? We know of many living in that area and above with no problems. Then again, isn't racing beating them until they break anyway? And no respect in California? What's that all about?

Mark

Just say no!

Originally posted by 2quiktocare

Mark
Hey Dude! Put that crack pipe down & make some sense!You have got to be from calif. LOL

Sorry Lou, I forgot you guys in OC have another language. Next time I will include an interpreter. Or were you refering to the wise crack pipe? Mark

Originally posted by 2quiktocare
Sorry Lou, I forgot you guys in OC have another language. Next time I will include an interpreter. Or were you refering to the wise crack pipe? Mark
Just trying to give you a hard time. Besides that I'm orginally from N.Y. regards Lou

Back