You can type here any text you want

are our t/r really that fast

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

terryjh6

well today i'm heading home and stop at a stopsign to make a right turn and a nice black 01-03ish gt mustang passes in front of me so i hit the gas and come up behind him at a stoplight. i can see the kid looking at me in his side mirror. well the light turnes green and he lets the van in front of him get 75-100ft out and reves up to maybe 2000-2500 rpm's and chirps the tires , well i just hit the gas! and by the time he gets to the van i've already hit the breaks twice! and mite have only got 11-12psi of boost. the van turnes off and from about 15mph he reves up much higher (he must be running 2 chamber flowmasters that gt sounded nice) and dumps it, well i just hit the gas,(not really hard dident even spin) and in a very quick blink have closed the gap he had on me, so now i'm behind him hitting my breaks and then the gas making my front bounce. now i like the mustangs and have owned many, but are they really that slow? i've only done the minor bolt on's to my car and can't wait to install my new te44,fmic and smc alky kit i have at the shop :D i know the driver can make a big diffrence in a race , but it wasent even close to a race, it was scary how fast my car over came that gt! i've owned some fast cars like 383 powered s-10 , six speed corvette and a porsche 930 turbo, but my buick doesent feel fast(SEAT of the pantis) i guess what i have is a fast lay-z-boy , what i mean is you dont feel in the steering wheel, the breaks, or floor also the lack of any real loud engine niose,, man i love this car, cant wait to bolt on more, maybe this weekend :biggrin:

mustangs really aren't fast. the older 96ish gt's run low 16's (at bandimere) thats a little better than a newer v6 camaro. 5.0 stangs run about the same stock. so do the body style your talking about, and i could only assume the newest ones run about the same also.

and from what i've seen they don't take a ton to get them running though. i had a friend with a 97 gt. if i remember right it ran a 16.3 stock. with a $200 k&n intake tube and a nice (awesome sounding) flow master x pipe exhause got him down to like a 15.8 and then higher gears and slicks got him to a 15.4. not bad but still far from fast. but to drop a second for $800 isn't too bad of a deal.

but stock they suck.

A 99-04 GT is normally a low 14/high 13 sec car stock with a good driver. They are fairly quick but no match for a GN with basic mods. My 02 TA will put a hurting on them and it's not even a race in the GN. BTW, you'll start to feel some seat of the pants difference once you put on the turbo and alcohol. Crank that boost over 20 lbs and hold on! :D

My bone-stock 98 GT convertible ran a 9.8 in the 1/8th with a weak launch. Has 100,000 miles. If I'm not mistaken thats about a 15.0 1/4? Maybe a 14.9? Not fast, but with gears and such like a lot of GT's have, or PI heads and intake like factory 99-04 have, I'd say they are decent. But it does put the GN in perspective and makes me appreciate how bad ass they really are.

Watch out for S/C Cobras, I've seen many low 11 second ones that from a distance don't look too imtimedating. Alot of the N/A ones around here use NOS too.

See my sig for the 86. That was bone stock in 1989 with 235/60/15s Radial TA's. :) And yes the Cobras do go low 11's with just a few mods :D !!!

The latest 98-03 GT's are really just loud. Sure they sound good but arent really fast machines. Good kill.

Jason

YOu should take a look at Hemmings Muscle machines, When they review an older car they provide performance data. And very few that I've seen including the LS6 chevells would do a 14 sec 1/4 mile.

They do sound good with a nice exhaust. There is a guy around here with a black Cobra 'Vert with a ridiculously loud exhaust. I think he hangs out with a few tuner-type guys around here that are into Mustang's, Camaro's etc. I doubt he has much done to the car and judging by how he drives it (wrong gear so it revs louder, jerky throttle) he can't drive.
I really want to run into him when I get the Cutlass new cam broke in with a few hundred miles. So far everytime I see him I am in the Monte Carlo (all stock, not going to race it anyway).

Back