You can type here any text you want

Are subs in tubes any good?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Renthorin

Lone Wolf
I would like to add some deep punch to my GN's system. Note - it is bone stock and I want to keep it that way.

I thought about some of those 6 or 8 inch subs in their own tubes with amps on the end. That way I can just unplug the thing and take it away without leaveing an amp somewhere.

I have seen the Bazooka tube things and that is the style I would like. I want to put it on the floor board behind the driver's or passenger's seat....or both.

Quesitons:
1) are tube type subs good?
2) what about the self powered ones?
3) would one work or do I need two?

Originally posted by Renthorin
"1) are tube type subs good?"

They are OK but a subwoofer in an MDF enclosure sounds much better. I personally never liked the sound of them.

"2) what about the self powered ones?"

It is a cheap amplifier that is a permanent part of the box. Either way you will need an amplifier to power them.

"3) would one work or do I need two?"

That would be a personal preference. One may work for you and if it isnt enough, then you could add a second. I would listen to a Bazooka tube in someone else car before I would make the purchase. At least you would be able to tell whether you like it or not.

Wizard,

What is a subwoofer in an MDF enclosure? Do you have a picture? How much are they and how big are they?

I do have a 250w amp sitting on a shelf in the basement that I could use just trying not to add stuff that I have to remove later.

Thanks for the info. :-)

he just means a sub thats in a normal box. MDF is a type of wood. Its like particle board just much stronger.

whatever you can imagine is how big they can be or how much they weigh.

Originally posted by Renthorin
Wizard,

What is a subwoofer in an MDF enclosure?

MDF stands for medium density fiber board and

HDF stands for high density fiber board.

Just a littly FYI in case you were wondering.

Back