You can type here any text you want

Are there any "AMX-perts" out there? Click on in....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dhauser

The end is fear
I'm considering buying a really nice '69 AMX but am a bit weak on the market for these cars. This car is a 290 cid "hi-po" model (225 hp), one of only 299 built. It is correct factory red, with black bucket interior, console auto, PS, PB, no AC.

The car is in show-quality condition throughout, including stunning paint and body, chrome, trim, detailed and correct engine bay, and completely done suspension that is detailed, but is not "over-restored" underneath if you know what I mean.

It is truly a show-stopper as far as being beautiful, and it does run and drive very well. Has correct 14" "magnum" wheels with brushed trim rings, radial TAs, etc.

The guy is firm at $20k. My research shows very nice 390 4 speed AMXs trading in the $24-$32k range. Is a 290 "hi-po" car worth this kind of dough?

As you all know, I have a classic car place and will need to mark it up some in order to justify the time and expense I'll invest in marketing it. Is someone going to want to pay $23-$24k for this car? I think so, given the quality, but very unsure since I don't know the market.

I know that NO ONE wants to restore these cars because parts are a total biatch to come by. This car needs nothing. Only flaws are some very small, light cracking on the dash, and a very few tiny flaws in the paint.

Anyone with experience on these feel free to chime in. Thanks.

At the entry price of 20K you'll have it a long time before someone springs for your price. The market on 290 AMX's is weak because there are plenty of 390 ones for sale at the same price.

At the entry price of 20K you'll have it a long time before someone springs for your price. The market on 290 AMX's is weak because there are plenty of 390 ones for sale at the same price.

I agree. Least desirable of the line.

Thanks for the input so far. Anyone else with knowledge of these cars want to chime in?

Seems a bit steep to me too.

390 car would fetch that but it would take the "right" buyer to pay what you would need to get for it.

But, like they say, "there's an ass for every seat"..

BTW, nice 73 mustang convert..

I pretty much agree with most of what has been said. As you are aware, rare does not always equate to high dollars. AMX's are not an easy sell to begin with, and being a small block will make it that much harder.

Thanks for the input, guys. I tend to agree with you guys, and think I will not go for it, despite how nice the car is.

Back