Are there any fast VWs on the street?

mygrain

unregistered
Anything to worry about when out cruising? If i ever have some dork on a jetta rev his engine at me, i just roll my window down and tell them gas is too expensive to waste on a beater like theirs. Are the 1.8Ts fast at all? What about VR6s?

here in new york there are about 4 or 5 fast ones and they run mid to low 12s with slicks. 1.8ts are quick but the vr6s are usually the ones to look out for. usually a stock 98 vr6 with some boltons and a 125 shot of nitrous no inturnals shood run a 13.4 on street tires. and when they take that setup and put it in a older model such as an a2/85-92 shape witch is 500 pounds lighter you have a very nice sleeper. so watch out the next little helpless vw you see may be a wolf in a sheeps clothing. if you have any more vw questions just give me a ring

my boy jo that lives around the corner from me has a 95 vr6 that has 108,000 miles he has a supercharger chip injectors exhaust throttlebody cams intake manifold and a 75 shot of nitrous and on street tires he runs 12.44 with his car gutted(drivers seat and dash only).

So basically not very much to worry about? My car does 13.2 on a G tech. Some kid that has a yellow golf v6 was telling me that theres no way my car could beat his.

There was one at the track last night that literally spun the length of the track. He had slicks on the front, too. It was comical to listen to it - waaaaahhhhhhhh-rev limiter-waaaaaaaaaahhhhhh-rev limiter-waaaaaaahhhhhhhh-rev limiter. He was running mid-12s at like 120 or something that way. It was trailered in, though, and had a bar. Not a street car.

Jim

I have seen some pretty fast ones at NED. Mid to low 13s. Same for the Audi 1.8ts. It looks like the faster ones don't rice them out, they spend $ on real go fast parts for the car. I would imagine the parts for them are not cheap either.

There are 2 around Va Beach that I know of.

A VW pickup truck with a turbo VR6 that runs hi 11's and a 1.8T GTI That had a gutted interior and ran mid 12's at 126-128 mph on 28psi. He blew up.

I have never seen a fast VR6 or 1.8 turbo on the mountain - infact I don't think I have ever seen one run under 16.00! I have, however, seen a 1960's vintage Bug with a Porsche turbo engine run a wheel standing 10.9! That was cool, but it is not a street driven car.

Be carefull about the ones that say R32 on the hatch. I havent run one, but hear the have a factory supercharged VR6 motor in them . And they go for about 30 grand, I think. Personally I'd tread lightly, I have ALOT of work to do on my T-Type. I have only seen one. Just my .02

SJ

scojack2001, the r32 comes with a v6 with 240hp all motor. it is alittle different than the vr6. it comes with 24 valves wile the vr6 comes with 12. it is all wheel drive and the vr6 is front wheel drive. but it is still slow i mean 14sec slow

Originally posted by scojack_2001
Be carefull about the ones that say R32 on the hatch. I havent run one, but hear the have a factory supercharged VR6 motor in them . And they go for about 30 grand, I think. Personally I'd tread lightly, I have ALOT of work to do on my T-Type. I have only seen one. Just my .02

SJ

I demolished one in my dad's stock Camaro SS 6-speed. They're not that quick. I wasn't expecting the AWD launch, but it wasn't hard to catch up.

Jim

Originally posted by roderick
scojack2001, the r32 comes with a v6 with 240hp all motor. it is alittle different than the vr6. it comes with 24 valves wile the vr6 comes with 12. it is all wheel drive and the vr6 is front wheel drive. but it is still slow i mean 14sec slow

Okay, my mistake. I was just going by what a buddy told me. I have no experience with them or VWs. I only saw it breifly and couldn't get up to it. It looked decent, and the R32 badge got my curiousity. Besides, my car probably wouldn't beat it anyway. Half the parts for my car are riding around in the trunk.

Sj

sorry scojack2001 i was not trying to rag on you . your car should beat one without much effort. there cars are pretty fast but no comp for a worked tr

"thats no ordinary rrrabbit!"....

here in new york there are about 4 or 5 fast ones and they run mid to low 12s with slicks. 1.8ts are quick but the vr6s are usually the ones to look out for. usually a stock 98 vr6 with some boltons and a 125 shot of nitrous no inturnals shood run a 13.4 on street tires. and when they take that setup and put it in a older model such as an a2/85-92 shape witch is 500 pounds lighter you have a very nice sleeper. so watch out the next little helpless vw you see may be a wolf in a sheeps clothing. if you have any more vw questions just give me a ring

in other words...NO PROBLEM if you're in a slightly modded Turbo Buick!

and not a snowballs chance in hell if you're in a SINISTER Turbo Buick! mwaHAHAHAHAHAHA!:D

Actually all the VR6 motors have 24v's these days, in the early 90's they had 12v's...but they have had 24 since 97 I believe.

The R32 is a 3.2 liter version of the VR6(same as in the toureg), where the GTI/337 gets the 2.8 liter version.

There are fast Street driven VW's out there, most seem to be wrong wheel drive (FWD) for drag racing, some can be had in an AWD version, as with the Audi's with the 1.8t

The 1.8t is easily tunable like an LC2 just a chip and some exhuast work will put down about 215-220 to the wheels (rated at 180 at the crank stock). As for the R32 give a little canadian company HPA time to sell a few of its turbo and bi-turbo kits and you will see FAST R32's. The HPA bi-turbo test mule as gone 0-30 in 1 sec, 0-60 in 3.2 and ran the quater at 11.4 at I think 119-122 ish. All on street tires, and 100 octane.

And as said earlier...a 1.8t or VR6 dropped into any MK1 or MK2 VW makes for one very quick sleeper.

Late reply, but.....The fastest car that I have ever seen run on the street was a VW bug.(and it was a REAL street car/he had been cruising in it all night, stop & go traffic, cranked right up, no support vehicle tagging along, etc.) Granted, he had a warmed over small block chevy in it, but the point being, you never know what could be in them things. The only thing that would challenge him was some guy on a Ninja 1000 or 1100. The bike even hit it first and the bug absolutely raped him.

this reminds me of yesterday. i was driving my TA yesterday on the way home from work and i had to stop at sunoco to get fuel.(ultra 94 baby, yeah!) anyway, when i pulled in there there was a dude pumping gas in his riced out corrado. (its looks like a fat jetta hatch basically):D anyway the guy left his engine running while he was pumping gas just to be a show off i guess because it was loud. it sounded like crap. it had a fart can and God knows what else. anyway he kept looking at my WS6 like" oh i can smoke that" then he gets in his "car" and pulls out of the station. when he pulls out he tries to do a burnout (it was sorry) and guns it. that car didn't even move. it was hilarious. i should've went home and pulled my 85 grand prix out (305 LG4 hell yeah!) and raced him with that.:D