You can type here any text you want

Armstrong XP Solder or Crimp

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

aminga

Chicks Dig the powerbulge
I'm in the process of installing an Armstrong XP in my 86 T-Type. The instructions recommend butt splices hook the new pump into the harness. Has anyone soldered these connnections for more security. I wouldn't want to do an impression of TWA 700 if one of those splices come loose and arcs.

Is this a new pump? An XP+?

Regardless, it should have a plug-and-play harness included that adapts the OEM connector to the aftermarket pump.

STOP - PUT YOUR HANDS UP - BACK AWAY FROM THE TOOL - DON'T CUT ANYTHING!!!

:)

I soldered my old Kenne-Bell pump (307?) connections about 11 years ago.

Still working. :)

Didn't do it near the tank however. :D

I hate butt splices too. :(

I soldered mine so I wouldn't have any problems. If you ever have to use butt splices for anything on the exterior of your car put a little RTV silicone sealer on the ends of the bare wires before you put it in the butt connector and crimp it and you won't have to worry about oxidation of the wires, like they do sometimes.
Tarey D.

Originally posted by strikeeagle
Is this a new pump? An XP+?

Regardless, it should have a plug-and-play harness included that adapts the OEM connector to the aftermarket pump.

STOP - PUT YOUR HANDS UP - BACK AWAY FROM THE TOOL - DON'T CUT ANYTHING!!!

:)

Yes it is a new pump, but the instructions are kind of clear. The harness is for an 87 Turbo car. 84-86's used a different harness so it's a cut and paste kind of deal.

Both!!

Crimp with your favorite splice and then fill with solder, of course you'll need a big iron.

Back