ARP Head Studs

Ken Adams

Before I purchase ARP head studs, would like your input. Should I purchase a hex head stud kit 123-4001 or 12 point stud kit 123-4201? What are the pros and cons of each design? Any suggestions as to what I need to take in consideration before buying either kit? I'll be installing the studs on production 8445 ported heads which going on a turbocharged regular production 4.1 block.
At this point I have not decided to go with or without roller rockers. Need your help

I think I would go with the 12 point stud because they are a little easier to get a wrench on when the heads are in the car. Be sure to get the style that has a hex on the end of the stud so they can easily be removed in the car. Also read threads on installing the studs. It appears some people are having problems with the nut running out of threads and therfore not putting the proper clamp on the heads. Might need to add an extra washer to a couple.

anyone ever see the bottom stud between 3 and 5 and between 2 and 4 screw in father than the other 3 on the bottom row???
same length stud with factory threads in block.

The 4 medium length studs (top 2 on each head) may require an extra washer. Check the thread count when you have the head installed. I added them just for piece of mind.

ARP only rates the strength of the stud, the nut type has no effect on the rated strenght from what data they provide. It is available on their web page.

I'd go 12-point nuts b/c the rear nuts can be a PITA to get to with a torque wrench. Wish I had them when I did mine.
I'll second the comment about adding two washers to the shorter studs, just do them anyway.

ks