asc mclaren employees...

Turbo6Smackdown

hey, quick question. who would know about the gnx numbered dashes. wanted to know if theyre hand painted or made that color.

Rick Hunt (X Ray)could probably tell you. Shoot him a PM or wait and see if he reads this :smile:

both. (I think) they where made that color up until a certain #, and then hand painted the rest. Somebody who knows can confirm or denounce this claim :smile:

all of the dash plates were hand painted (using a REAL tiny brush!). I know the guy that did them. He told me he took them home one weekend and did them on his kitchen table!

The person you are looking for that actually worked on these parts is a friend of mine.
He is out of town ….but I talked to him today and he will give me his response to you questions when he gets back next Tuesday. Regards Rick

Hand Painted

I don't know if they are hand painted, but I have 2 in my posession that walked right out of ASC. They still have the protective coating on them. I was told they were back ups parts for the originals. I would be interested to know how to tell........

The ones with the plastic coating are the back ups, they have a fatter X and slightly different gn. All the originals and a second set were all hand painted. What are the numbers of the ones you have?

I think I have 092 and 094, I would have to go check to see which ones I have left. I sold most of them, I think I used to have like 088-094. If anyone is interested in purchasing or the exact numbers I have, please PM.

Thanks!

hey, quick question. who would know about the gnx numbered dashes. wanted to know if theyre hand painted or made that color.

This is the response I received from the person who painted the dash number plates.:D

Early in GNX production a (Royal Oak, Mi) jeweler was painting the number plates. Due to some quality issues with their work, otherwise complete cars were unable to ship while waiting for the plates to be repainted. The decision was made to seek another source for this task. My brother( his not Ricks), who was on loan to the GNX plant from another ASC facility, suggested I could do the job. I met with the quality manager of the plant and the supplier of the photo-etched stainless steel plates and got some samples to see if I could apply the paint to their standards. I went home to my apartment where I used black spray paint for the background and red and white model paints for the letters (applied with a size 00000 brush). These samples passed the quality inspection and I hand painted the last 485 of the 547 number plates using the same method.:cool: