ASE certified?

SBCregal

Any of you guys on the board goto school to get your ASE certification? I'm tossing the idea around to get my ass back in school. I'm a young guy (19) and screwed around a little too much in High School, and decided that I'd rather go "make money", instead of going back to school. I make pretty decent money as a furniture upholsterer, but here lately I've realized that I need to get FAR away from the furniture industry. So how many of you guy went to schhol (or didnt goto school) and are currently in the automotive industy? And what is the best route to take as far as getting a decent job in the industry?

You don't necessarily have to go to school, depends on how much you already know and how good you are at teaching yourself. The ASE tests aren't really that difficult. If you're good at motivating yourself you could just buy an automotive technology book, steadily read and study it on your own, buy some ASE study guides, and try to pass the tests. If you fail the only thing you lose is the money you paid to register for the tests, you can always take them again next session.

If you aren't the kinda person who has the will power to make yourself study and everything, then there's schools like UTI that'll get you a basic knowledge in about one year. Like any school, your experience at automotive school depends on how much effort you put into it.

I passed four out of four ASEs my first try and just took the remaining four that I need a few weeks ago. Results are going to be released on December 6th. The automatic and manual trans tests were the hardest for me.

I'm a master cetified tech with L-1 certification. I've been to GM's ASEP program. I've trained alot of apprentices. I'll give you my short and sweet answer. I believe without some sort of scholarship, it costs too much. Most around $25,000. They give you some of the base theories, and some hands on. If you have the ability to absorb and retain information, try to get into an independant repair shop. Look for a Master tech certification on the wall. That way someone is there that could help train you. Expect to suffer for 4 years being underpayed and overworked. That's the sad truth. And you still have to buy tools constantly, because they make a new part that takes a new tool to remove and install (9/16 spark plug socket on new Fords for example). I would get the magazines Motor or Motorage. I like Motor better. You might be able to get them free. Read them. If the articles don't interest you, avoid the industry. This industry will pass you up. I hope this helps in your decision. Good luck.
Casey

<----- Senior Master Tech

ive been working in the dealership industry since 1990, and have been working for Ford since 1998

I make a good living and like what i do, be prepared to spend some money on tools, have a weekly tool payment as long as you are in the business..

At your age you might want to go to medical school:biggrin: . there is no money in working on cars. I worked for chevy dealerships and independent shops since 86 and i am 38 . Know i work for a used car superstore and i work on all makes and models.If you know your **** you can blaze threw an apprentice program in alot less time than you think. I started working for chevy in 94 as an apprentice. even though i had worked for other shops before. by feb 95 i was a journeymen tech. I never went to any schools for this stuff. I wish i would have.If you have the will you can do what ever you want.If you opt to got to uti or any other schools get the extra training for bmw or mercedes. I had a couple of apprentinces that did that and they love it.You are young enough to do whatever you want. I would opt for the doctor.The hospital supplies their tools. plus they get to bury their mistakes:eek: Plan on spending lots of money on tools and i mean lots. good luck with what ever you do. staying out of trouble is the first thing .good luck

Let me give you a nickles worth of free advice. Dont get into the auto industry! Ive been in the dealer world since for over a decade. The industry just plain sucks. If I were your age I would try and get myself a state or government job i.e. school janitor, fireman, etc. You want something with retirement and good health care. The pay isnt what you can make as a master tech at a good dealer but retiring with a good pension at 20-30 years will easily make up for the lack of pay. But its your life so do whatever makes you happy.

James

+1!!! I also am a ase master truck and auto with my L1 and wish I had done something else. Money is up and down. Plus my hands hurt everyday after 17 years being a wrench. Do yourself a favor and go to school for something else.

Let me give you a nickles worth of free advice. Dont get into the auto industry! Ive been in the dealer world since for over a decade. The industry just plain sucks. If I were your age I would try and get myself a state or government job i.e. school janitor, fireman, etc. You want something with retirement and good health care. The pay isnt what you can make as a master tech at a good dealer but retiring with a good pension at 20-30 years will easily make up for the lack of pay. But its your life so do whatever makes you happy.

James

i agree thats excellent advice

I also agree with finding a differant job career. I started in the automotive industry in 98. Came in the shop at a saturn dealer as a bottom line tech in 2003. As much as I like cars, I hate working on them every day. Its a tough job. I dont make much money as some of the guys at my dealer do. It seems you have to know how to cheat the system or be dishonest with what cars need to make good money. Me personaly, I get stuck with all the crap warrenty and drivability complaints every day. I have the worst luck with the crap I get stuck with every day. If you are set on becoming a tech, I would focus on becoming a master in electrical diagnosis. My hands and back also hurting constantly now. I am trying to decide a new career far away from cars. For some people they enjoy this career, and good luck to them

Unless you are damn good or have a long term job or business plan, don't do it. My dad had different shops when I was growing up so I picked up on it a lot faster than my friends. I was an apprentice for a master tech at 17 for a year and a half and a master myself by 20, a shop owner by 27 and sold it at 35. I did a crap load of research before I changed careers to a home improvement/ contractor and trust me, it was a hard decision since all I have ever done was cars and I was still making really good money. Now I am kicking myself for not changing earlier. The biggest factors for me getting out were: #1 finding good employees, there are a lot of part hangers now and not as many technicians and so many want big money with out working hard #2 constantly having to buy new equiptment and updates, especially to comply with the DEQ and state inspection guys #3 cars don't need anywhere near the maintenence and repairs they used to. #4 more specialty tools are needed for different manufacturers. Back in the eighties EVERYTHING broke or needed maintenence on a regular basis. There are more reasons but I will stop there. Half of my friends that got into cars when I did have switched careers. The other half complain about the steady decline in income and work. One guy does not complain because he owns a VW older model specialty shop and has the corner on the market here in the Va part of D/C suburbs. Dont get me wrong, cars are still one of my biggest passions and sometime I think about the good old days but after I spend a few hours at friends shops working on my stuff, it quickly reminds me of the above reasons why I don't do it and more. Best of luck, if you like working with your hands there are many other choices for you. Just my o2

PS.. i switched from the gas/heavy line and for the past 5 years i have speicalized in the diesel section, i work on all the powerstrokes, cats and cummins..

The pay is great, plenty of work.. i just dont see myself doing this when im 50..

im 34 now

a diesel master tech here in south texas gets paid about $30.00 dollars an hour.
and most make betwen 75k - 100k a year if they are good

When I was career-searching, someone told me "find what you enjoy most, and DON'T do it for a career. You'll wind up hating it."

-BC

I spent 4 years at HS sleeping during class and selling doobies inbetween.
They went ahead and fudged my grade point or somthing so i would graduate, due to a class A school, they didnt want to lose somthing, acredation or crustation er whatever dunno long time ago but anyway I get out and said..hmmm im dumber then a box of rocks, my AST was a joke..i'll join the army, I had fun for 4 years in the army but got out and couldnt find a job repairing grenades.

Long story short get your GED and go into medical field like post above refered too..... be it nursing or whatever, you can go to any city and get a job... you might have to whipe butts for a couple of years but its better then kissing a$$ for 20

Sheww....Thank all of you guys for your input. Kinda pullin' a 180* right about know.:)

I just get worried about the furniture industy. What I'm doing is really good money (for someone my age), but the industry is SO effin' up and down, which is a disaster when your working on peice rate,not to mention the toll that benting over 8+ hours a day and pulling the shizznit outta material has on your body.

As for the medical feild, it would be the most logical, being that my sister just finished nursing school and still has all of the needed books and what not. But I'll tell ya what, when she looked at one of my pay stubs, I thought she was gonna sh*t a brick. It burnt her up a bit that her younger brother that had no higher education after high school brought home more than she did after 2+ years of school.

Once again, thank you guys for your input. I guess I'll stick to upholstery Mon-Fri. and do work out of the shop on the weekends.

Your Future!

I too work in the dealerships like most that have chimed in here, but I do something a little different. I'll give you what I did. I went to UTI, came out with most of my ASE's. I went to work for an independent shop. I hated it so much I got out of the business all together. I had to learn the hard way that I liked working on my car, not everyone else's car. I took a long hard look at the automotive business, and only then I found the perfect thing for me. I'm a service advisor. At the dealership level you would be surprised at the money you can make. :D Its the perfect fit. Generally you can make more money the turning wrenches, with out the health risks, and absolutely no tool overhead.;) You have to know what your talking about when selling a customer or they will see right through you. You have to be able to sell, be sharp, and very customer satisfaction orientated!!! You have to be quick and have a razor sharp tongue. I worked for ford for about 5yrs and am now at a chevy dealership. I couldn't be happier, it also helps to work for the right company too! I used to work for a dealer who owned 2 Ford dealerships, a Honda dealer, and a Subaru dealership. It was good pay, but crummy bene's. Now I work for a Rick Hendrick dealership and it is the best dealership in my area bar none!! Best bene's and pay in Kansas City. Its your future, but there are other things to do in the auto industry other than turn wrenches!:biggrin:

Good Luck!!!

Well just an update from me, today is Dec 6th and ASE test results were posted and I passed the remaining 4 tests I need in the basic "A" series of tests. I studied the day before each test and that's about it. So as I said earlier I don't think the ASE tests are too hard but I've always been a good test-taker. You could register for them and just wing it and try to pass and if you luck out and pass a few at least you'll have something else under your belt.

Some of the comments in this thread are very valid. If you start out as a rookie at a dealership you're going to get a lot of BS to deal with while everyone else gets gravy work and books 15 hours a day.

It can be a stressful industry and maybe being a service writer is a better option IF you are good with people. I can't deal with people, I'd rather deal with fixing a stubborn car than deal with stupid customers. If you can deal with people 8 hours a day you can make decent money just doing service writing.

I'll also agree with the point that there's a difference between enjoying working on cars and enjoying working on YOUR car. Wrenching for 40 hours a week doesn't leave much energy or motivation to work on your own car on your days off. I've had countless days where I bring some tools home to work on the GN and then end up not doing it because I don't want to work on a car on my day off. So if wrenching is your favorite hobby, you might end up spoiling it by making it into a career. Some people can handle it and some people realize they only liked wrenching in their own driveway and not with a service writer breathing down your neck to get a car finished.

Fluctuating income is another good point, unless you're a rookie hourly employee you're going to be on the flat-rate pay scale and get paid based on how many hours you book. This time of year is very slow and lots of the older guys at my dealership aren't happy about the smaller paychecks.

Honestly I agree with all the negative comments about the industry but in my case there's still nothing else I would rather do. I don't want to be a doctor, I don't want an office job, etc etc. If you think you would like to do it then don't let anyone's opinion bother you. Depends on who you talk to. I'm sure if you asked the 25 year old journeyman that I work with who books 100+ hours every week, he'd tell you this industry rules.

Smartest thing you can do as a tech is be friendly with the service writers and they will hook you up with good tickets.

I took the Automotive Collision Course at Kirkwood Community College. Spent a cool 10k, but I got my tools for snap-on at half off. While I was attending school I could get anything off the MAC truck at half off as well. The teachers told us at the start of the school year that the money is in the management department. All the blocking and shooting is to get to the higher levels of the biz. A lot of people have taken the class not to work in a shop but to do there own thing and to do a good job of it.

I don't know, just learn a skill and apply it to something different.

For instance, learn to paint cars then use it to paint..........high-end toilet seats for people who wants a nice looking toilet seat. You will have cornered the market on that one.

So if you stay with what your doing, do some brainstorming and maybe come up with something to add to your passion for cars... custom seat covers for buckets? turbo6 logo wrapped in leather? offer to recover steering wheels? how bout redesigning a custom wrapped center consol? custom embroidered fender guards? some nalgahide(sp?) with felt backing for fender protection, there on the market but if you can think of somthing to add to it..people will buy..im always in the market for somthing custom.

use your knowledge that you have gained and try and expand it to help fill a niche.

My first post on this que was about how i putzed off during high school and like most teenagers, no one could tell me any different so although im doing ok and paying my bills with a couple of nice cars i should have been a little more focused but hind sight is 20/20

I am ASE Certified in 6 of the 8 Automotive categories. I am a manager at a Firestone Store. I am not a tech. But the funny thing is I have more ASE's that most of my techs! LOL. Oh, I went to school for 4 years and have a BS in Automotive Technology with a Minor in Business Adm. When I get more years of experience, I plan on taking the L1 Advanced Engine Performance Test, and taking the other 2 ASE's I need, and applying for Manager of Vehicle Services, which is a step higher than Service Manager. A degree helps, ASE's are really nice to have, but in the end, you just have to get good at what you do. If you want to be in the automotive industry, just start somewhere and work your way up! Good luck!