You can type here any text you want

ATR rear bar making binding noises??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

I have been getting some major creeking noises on my car when the rear suspension flexes. I'm thinking it is the rear ATR bar?? I have UMI tubular lowers on the car and really had to jam that bar in there to get it in place. Whenever it stops snowing I plan to take the bar off and see if it stops but I'm wondering if anybody else has had this happen before?? I have had an ATR bar on other cars and never had a problem but I'm think the fact that the lowers are tubular, they are wider than a Metco squared bar. Any ideas?

I just have whatever came in the UMI lower bars. Not sure if they are poly or not?? Do poly bushings make them clang like that?

A clang??!!
I though you said (meant) a squeak (creaking).

Poly bushings will squeak (creak) quite annoyingly if not well greased. How do I know? Because I made the mistake of getting LCA that do not have greasable poly bushings. I have to spray them with oil every so often to shut them up.

If something is CLANGING....that sounds like an interference problem.

AHHH, yeah this is not a squeek but like a creeking and clanging noise as the rear suspension flexes?? I think it's the rear bar. I know it's not the springs because I just put new ones in and it did it before that.

Ooooo....
That's a tough one to diagnose 1000 miles away.
You might better take it to a shop or something.

I'm not familiar with the ATR bar, I would have to see if it is in my old catalog that I kept for the heck of it. Maybe a good picture there.
Have you checked the all the mounting hardware to be sure it's tight?

How about interference with the exhaust?

I have the ATR bar with UMI tubular lowers on my GN. The lowers are poly and are greasable.

When I pull into a gas station with a big curb lip there is a "metalic sounding" pop from the back.

I am 99% certain it is (and you are also hearing) the bushings saying...no..no..no.....OK...I will move a bit.....

I have zero clearance issues and I have had poly busing before on my front control arms that made the same noise.

Try lubing the hell out of them and see if it goes away. I have looked my system over a few times and nothing is scraping or wearing away.

I think it is just the bushings are under a lot of stress and are suddenly asked to move quite a bit.

bushing bind

Your not alone
I have polys at the back and experienced the same noise, Happens at random. Sounds like someone hit the frame with a sledge hammer. I checked it out , all ok. Its one of those things I cant reproduce on command.
Drove all summer , Havn't lost the rear yet ( knock on wood )
Eventually narrowed it to the bushings . I sprayed rust check and seems to of helped. Been quiet for last 2 months before the snow fell here.

Here I thought it was just me who had this issue.
hth
s.

Hmmm?? Good points guys!! I didnt even think to check the grease on the arms!! Do you think there could be a problem with the bolts being too tight? If so, do you guys know a torque spec for them? Thank you for your advice!!!

I thought that I heard that Lithium, or the white grease, solved virtually all of the polyuerthane bushings squeak problems? Also,I wouldn't think that overtightening the atr mounting bolts & nuts would hurt anything. HTH

Well, I'm thinking maybe the bolts holding the lower control arms may be overtightened as well????

When you put on the ATR bar, was the suspension under a load? Not just hanging there? I had read when I put mine on, that you must put the rear end up on ramps, then put the bar on. In addition I used an angle grinder to grind a small concave area along the bar where the tubular control arms bolt up to on each side. Haven't heard a thing.

Back