You can type here any text you want

ATR rear sway bar and.....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

slowboi

I just bought a used rear ATR sway bar and im looking for suggestions on a front bar. I have read up on this rear bar and many say that it works best with no front bar.... ??

I am still looking for my front end to be tight as going fast around corners is still as important to me as going fast in a straight line.

Anyone have any recommendations?

36mm hollow front sway bar from an f-body. bolt in replacement and 8 lbs lighter. Only go without a front sway bar if you plan on going only in a straight line.

There is a new Hellwig unit out there. I can't remember what number. Its about 200$ shipped.

Nix

So I guess what Im looking for is what thickness and type of sway bar is a good pairing for the ATR.... I measured the ATR and its 1 3/8 its a solid bar as well.

I've got the 36mm with the big ATR style rear sway bar. No issues other than the big bar is very heavy.

So the 36mm hollow front sway bar from an f-body may be the way to go? Whats your opinion on handling characteristics? Whats the cornering like compared to stock? Wheel hop on launch is gone?

Oh yeah another question.... does the atr bolt up to the HR lower arms without any issues?

I just bought a used rear ATR sway bar and im looking for suggestions on a front bar. I have read up on this rear bar and many say that it works best with no front bar.... ??

I am still looking for my front end to be tight as going fast around corners is still as important to me as going fast in a straight line.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Right now I'm running the Full Throttle replica "ATR" rear swaybar and a stock front swaybar. Had the 36mm hollow IROC front bar but it wouldn't fit with my SC&C HD frame brace. The swaybar also damaged my mounting holes as well, which I had to repair.

My car handles fine with this setup. I may or may not upgrade to a lighter/bigger front bar, but I have the H&R rear bar ready to go on the car.

So the 36mm hollow front sway bar from an f-body may be the way to go? Whats your opinion on handling characteristics? Whats the cornering like compared to stock? Wheel hop on launch is gone?

I would honestly get one that's designed for a G-Body. Yes it'll cost more but it'll fit right. My IROC bar rubbed my IC scoop and I never really liked how it fit. Plus they are rather difficult to find. With a proper G-Body swaybar, all the bracing you want to have will fit. Something to think about.

Good point. I am not looking to save money on a front bar, i dont mind spending the going rate on a front bar, im looking for a solid recommendation on a front bar from someone who has an atr bar or equivilent and has already done the trial and error stuff. What size front bar would you suggest?

Good point. I am not looking to save money on a front bar, i dont mind spending the going rate on a front bar, im looking for a solid recommendation on a front bar from someone who has an atr bar or equivilent and has already done the trial and error stuff. What size front bar would you suggest?

Most of the major companies should make a good front bar. Helwig, Spohn, Hotchkis, etc. Any of those should do nicely.

Here's one I like. 1 5/16" solid.

Hellwig Anti Swaybar GM G-body `78-`88 Monte Carlo, GN 1 5/16" solid front bar | Savitske Classic & Custom

And the hollow version:

Hellwig Anti Swaybar GM A/G body `78-`88 Monte Carlo, Grand National, etc. 1 5/16" tubular front bar | Savitske Classic & Custom

I also have their HD frame brace and my car is nice and tight. But the handling is a bit off due to a melted upper control arm bushing. I will be redoing the whole front end here soon however.

Back