attaching chrome/stainless piece to bottom of GN Door???

Yedi

ya, the Monte over there.
I have a chance to buy some rust free doors from an 84 GN to put on my 83 limited. Is there a way to attach the stainless pieces to the GN doors? I'm not really sure how the clips are held on the door?? Please help, thanks..

The chrome pieces are held on by little studs that are welded to the door at the factory. I'm not sure if it is possible to take the chrome piece w/o wrecking it. If yo to manage to, it should be fairly easy to cut off the old studs and weld them or whatever to the new door.

Maybe someone else has more experience with this exact procedure. Just my thoughts

What you need is some special screws they make to replace the rivets mentioned. They look like a #4 screw but have the button head and shank that looks like the rivets. GM part number is 4492963 or you might try someplace that specializes in body hardware like automotive paint and body supplies. I know Auveco has it in their catalog. Just use the GM number as a cross reference.

turbofish38, I talked to one of my friends and he mentioned somthing similiar. Thanks for the part number and info. Very helpful!

If you need to replace your doors and the doors you purchase don't have provisions to hold the clips that hold the chrome strip, you can install the clips as described above. This will require perfect placement of the screws (PIA) to have the clips in the proper position for exact placement of the strip.

As a shortcut, you could forget that and use silicone glue to hold the chrome strip in place. The only time you need to remove the strip is if your doing a new paintjob. Use the factory fasteners at the front and rear of the moulding and three globs of silicone equally distanced in between. Just another way to go. ;)