You can type here any text you want

Attaching Dew Sweep to Chrome Door Trim

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Morbid

I'm replacing the dew sweep on the drivers side (it's the black weatherstrip attached to the chrome piece on the outside of the door on top).

What size rivets do I need to get and does it matter which way they go in?

TIA

MorBiD

No rivets required. Everything is held on with sheet metal trim screws. All you need is a good #2 Phillips screwdriver and maybe a 10mm wrench to lower the window stops.

Hmmm. On second thought it sounds like you have the wrong dew wipes. Is your car a standard Regal or does it have the wide Limited style molding on top of the door? On the standard Regal the chrome bead is molded onto the seal. On the Limited the rubber seal is a seperate part from the wide chrome trim. Either way it's all held on with screws.

I have the wide chrome piece on top of the doors on my car and looking at them I cannot figure out how the dew sweep comes off, they look like their all one piece molded in.. if anybody has any pics I would like to see how they come off so I can replace mine as well..

I also have the standard chrome skinny ones I bought but they are going to look dumb if I use them so if anybody has the ones I need and are willing to trade or sell them let me know.

I'm not sure what "wide" means? Mine are Chrome and measure 1 3/4" wide.

There isn't any threading on either side of the vertical portion of the trim piece just holes for securing the trim to the door (w/screws) and smaller holes where the rubber (w/felt) dew sweep is mounted.

If the Dew sweep (20674282 or 20674283) was held on only with trim screws it would come off as soon as you separated the trim from the car which it does not.

I'm not talking about the roof rail retainers or the trim that goes along the outside of the A-Pillar (opposite side of windshield channel , then the top of window, and then down the Lock Pillar (which all sets behind the roof rail retainers and is all held in by screws)

I think they call this area the "belt line" (starts above the mirror and runs to the end of the door above the lock) on the horizontal portion of the door.

Greg

I have the wide chrome piece on top of the doors on my car and looking at them I cannot figure out how the dew sweep comes off, they look like their all one piece molded in.. if anybody has any pics I would like to see how they come off so I can replace mine as well..

I also have the standard chrome skinny ones I bought but they are going to look dumb if I use them so if anybody has the ones I need and are willing to trade or sell them let me know.

The dew sweep was riveted onto the chrome, I remember having to drill them out when I did this before. Look on the outer vertical surface on the back of the trim and you'll see the rivet heads.

My Fisher Body Service Manual has nothing on this.

I have one side apart while waiting for the sweep from Brian Weavy (should be here tomorrow) but I have a Regal Coupe not the Limited though.

Greg

Morbid. You have the wide Limited moldings. No drilling needed. After you remove the 7 or so screws that hold the assembly to the door, the rubber will seperate from the chrome. 20674283-20674282 will not work with the Limited wide molding. Those are for a GN/WE4/W02 application. The Limited is a two part molding. One piece is the rubber and the second piece is the wide aluminum molding. You reuse the wide aluminum molding. It has a channel that fits over the rubber part. The correct part numbers for the Limited rubber dew wipes are RH-20674276 LH-20674277.

Both styles interchange. You may have to clean the top part of the door where the wide molding used to sit. And the 84 GN/T-Type used wide black Limited style dews instead of the skinny black dews used on the 85-87 models.

Morbid. You have the wide Limited moldings. No drilling needed. After you remove the 7 or so screws that hold the assembly to the door, the rubber will seperate from the chrome. 20674283-20674282 will not work with the Limited wide molding. Those are for a GN/WE4/W02 application. The Limited is a two part molding. One piece is the rubber and the second piece is the wide aluminum molding. You reuse the wide aluminum molding. It has a channel that fits over the rubber part. The correct part numbers for the Limited rubber dew wipes are RH-20674276 LH-20674277.

Both styles interchange. You may have to clean the top part of the door where the wide molding used to sit. And the 84 GN/T-Type used wide black Limited style dews instead of the skinny black dews used on the 85-87 models.

Well now I'm really confused. I just got home and my order is here from GBodyparts w/the Dew Sweep GM Part# 20674277 (even though I ordered 20674283, but that's a different story. Yes it only has the holes for the trim screws and nothing else.

But I replaced these before with 20674283-20674282 and they worked fine. In fact there is one difference between the two sets. 20674283-20674282 have a little taper piece that runs up to the taper in the front end of the Chrome Trim (by the mirror).

Also why does the Chrome Trim have other smaller holes in it that aren't for the Trim Screws?

It's been so long since I replaced these I can't remember how the originals mounted.

Greg

Hey fish I have the wide chrome trim pieces like your talking about but I still say their one piece I looked at these a couple of times and I still can't figure out how they (the dew sweep) removes fromt the chrome trim piece would you have any pics I would post some myself but I don't have a digital camera I will look at them again tonite to see if I can figure them out!!

Hey morbid so which ones did you end up having the skinny ones or the ones for the limited (wide chrome trim)

Turbofish says I have the wide one's, but to be Bill,Bob,and frank about it I never knew there were different kinds.

Like I said mine measure 1 3/4" across. Earlier I posted that I ordered GM Part# 20674283 from Brian but Part# 20674277 was in the box.

The two differences that I can see is the first set needs to be riveted on (and I had used those before after replacing the stockers with one's I got from the Dealership) and the second set is just held in my the trim screws. Just like Turbofish said.

The second difference is that the first set has rubber all the way up under the chrome tip that rests on the body next to the outside mirror.

You wanna ask me I like the first set better cause you can attach the Dew Sweep to the Trim then install it on the car. Holding both pieces together and trying to line up those little bitty screws (which I've lost half of now and can't seem to find any more) is going to be a pain. I may a thin strip of body caulk to mount the Sweep to the Trim.

I jumped the gun a brought a Rivet Gun today which will now sit unused.

Back